...although the story up at KNS says only that "Tennessee students" are so positioned.
What results of the 2013 NAEP really indicate is that, in spite of rapidly adopting the most aggressive and punitive reforms in the nation since 2010, ostensibly to close the student achievement gap, Tennessee has made zero, zip, nada progress on that front.
Interested readers may access breakout data at NAEP's website that answer the question "what states are closing achievement gaps?"
There, we may examine the data referenced in the KNS article--4th grade reading and math scores and eighth grade reading and math scores--in a manner that measures our success in closing the gap between white and black students' scores and also between white and Hispanic students' scores.
And we will discern that in over 48 comparisons of test scores spanning 21 years, Tennessee narrowed (not closed) a gap in only two comparisons in two years of one test at one grade level in one subject area. And that was before we adopted the 2010 reforms.
In the remaining 46 comparisons, the gap widened in one instance and remained unchanged in the other 45 instances.
If you didn't already know that the ed reform effort isn't really about closing the student achievement gap and that housing segregation works for white folks, you may want to spend some time with NAEP's various drop-down menus linked above.
- Rowan Co. KY county clerk in the national spotlight for defying U.S. Supreme Court (17 replies)
- Tennessee judge won't grant divorce because the gays win (3 replies)
- State officials promote 'low-cost labor force' to lure foreign industries to Tennessee (2 replies)
- State seeks input on proposed law to charge for public records inspection (1 reply)
- The beast has more than one belly: (21 replies)
- Cades Cove this morning (5 replies)
- City of Alcoa looking for better growth management (1 reply)
- Big Brother is (was?) listening at the courthouse (7 replies)
- Angry Ohio GOP Demands Cuyahoga NP Be Renamed for Palin (3 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (58 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (8 replies)
- Into the Belly of the Beast (3 replies)
- Sep 3 2015 - 4:00pm (5 hours 39 min ago)
- Sep 4 2015 - 6:00pm (20 hours 20 min from now)
- Sep 4 2015 - 7:00pm (21 hours 20 min from now)
- Sep 11 2015 - 6:30pm (1 week 20 hours from now)