I got an email from the chairman of the House Education Committee today:
It is important to realize that this is not just giving public money to private schools. There are strict guidelines that must be followed.
In order to qualify for this voucher a student must first be eligible for free or reduced lunches. And secondly, that student must be attending a school that is deemed a “failing” school by state authorities. Currently the only school in Knox County that would have students eligible to participate is Sarah Moore Green Elementary.
Harry Brooks is one of our more thoughtful Republican representatives and I know he has at least one kid. I don't have any kids. Unlike Senator Campfield, I won't pretend I would begin to know how to legislate what is best for them, but I find this troubling on a very basic level that I think anyone could understand. Is the entire notion of contemporary educational reform premised upon a foundation of abandonment? Or exile? Segregation? I'm struggling for words here, and our legislators are struggling for solutions. Help 'em out.
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (12 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (180 replies)
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (7 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (196 replies)
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (37 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Urban infrastructure gets a second life (1 reply)
- California readies pay-as-you-drive tax test, coming soon to a road near you (8 replies)
- A tribute to Roy of Roy's Records (1 reply)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (5 hours 1 min from now)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (12 hours 31 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 12 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)