City press release...
Mayor Madeline Rogero today announced the hiring of Greg Mackay as Director of Public Assembly Facilities. Mackay, former Administrator of the Knox County Election Commission and a former real estate broker, will manage operations at Chilhowee Park and the Civic Auditorium and Coliseum. He succeeds Bob Polk, who retired from the position in November.
"Greg’s strong track record as an administrator and innovator, and his background in real estate, will serve the City well in the operation of these valuable public properties," Mayor Rogero said. "He is an effective manager and a skilled communicator who has experience working with a diverse group of employees and with the public. He will bring a fresh perspective as we think about the future of our public facilities."
Mackay is a graduate of the Webb School of Knoxville and earned a Bachelor of Arts in political science at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. He worked for 11 years as a Realtor, including a stint as managing broker for Heath Shuler Real Estate. He and his wife live with their daughter in the Kingston Hills neighborhood.
Mackay served as a Knox County Election Commissioner from 1990-98, helping to introduce and implement early voting. He was Election Commission Administrator from 2003 until 2011, running the Election Commission office and overseeing dozens of elections. Mackay has also served as an international elections observer in countries including Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Albania and Macedonia.
As Director of Public Facilities, he will oversee staff and operations at Chilhowee Park and the Civic Auditorium and Coliseum. The two facilities host more than 100 events a year, including the Tennessee Valley Fair at Chilhowee Park, performances by the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra at the Civic Auditorium, and the home games of the Knoxville Ice Bears hockey team at the Coliseum.
"Chilhowee Park and the Auditorium and Coliseum are great public assets that play a vital role in Knoxville’s civic life," Mackay said. "I am excited about working with the dedicated staff at these facilities to maintain that role and build on it for the future."
- Bar Marley (2 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (53 replies)
- A future for I-40? (11 replies)
- BREAKING: Herron will not seek second term as TNDP chair (10 replies)
- A Trip in the Country (3 replies)
- Asperger Support Group Tonight 6pm-7pm with Special Guests (14 replies)
- New Traffic Radar Gun Will Detect When Drivers Are Texting (12 replies)
- Alexander agrees to debate Ball (2 replies)
- Gordon Ball earns an 'F' from NRA (3 replies)
- The Artful Dodger: Dr. Briggs "radio silence" on Cheri Siler's invitation to debate (38 replies)
- National POW/MIA Recognition Day (2 replies)
- For theater/re lovers (1 reply)
- Sep 22 2014 - 4:15pm (8 hours 16 sec from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 6:15pm (1 day 10 hours from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 7:00pm (1 day 10 hours from now)
- Sep 25 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 9 hours from now)