I fell asleep during the third quarter of last night's BCS Discover Taxslayer Championship Bowl Game of the Century between Alabama and Notre Dame, in which Notre Dame got schooled on SEC football.
Here were the highlights for me, up to that point:
• In the pre-game, ESPN commentator Urban Meyer referred to Alabama as "Alabummer" on live TV. I had to rewind the Tivo to make sure I heard that right.
• Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly, when asked at half-time what they had to do to get back in the game, said "Uh, maybe Alabama doesn't come back in the second half?"
• A twitter tweeter quoting Mike Tyson re. Notre Dame's game plan: "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
• Another twitter tweeter who said new BSC standings would be announced at half-time to determine who Alabama would play in the second half.
• Calls for a restraining order against ESPN announcer Brent Musburger for his camera stalking and running commentary on AJ McCarron's girlfriend who also happens to be Miss Alabama. (It was reported that Katherine Webb picked up tens of thousands of new twitter followers during the game.)
- Laying the foundation (12 replies)
- McIntyre: Burchett remarks "appalling" and "ignorant" (35 replies)
- JD3 cleared to run for Congress (27 replies)
- The "newsroom of the future" without Chas Sisk (3 replies)
- Episcopal Church approves liturgy for blessing same-gender unions (4 replies)
- Unemployment up in Tennessee (9 replies)
- Why can't the US make erasers? (10 replies)
- 10th anniversay of US invasion of Iraq (43 replies)
- Patient advocates say insurers avoiding the sick (2 replies)
- Knoxville attorney Terry Adams announces for U.S. Senate (7 replies)
- TN Supreme Court Ruling on Property Rights (4 replies)
- Books Sandwiched In Welcomes Alvin Nance This Wednesday! (3 replies)