I fell asleep during the third quarter of last night's BCS Discover Taxslayer Championship Bowl Game of the Century between Alabama and Notre Dame, in which Notre Dame got schooled on SEC football.
Here were the highlights for me, up to that point:
• In the pre-game, ESPN commentator Urban Meyer referred to Alabama as "Alabummer" on live TV. I had to rewind the Tivo to make sure I heard that right.
• Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly, when asked at half-time what they had to do to get back in the game, said "Uh, maybe Alabama doesn't come back in the second half?"
• A twitter tweeter quoting Mike Tyson re. Notre Dame's game plan: "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
• Another twitter tweeter who said new BSC standings would be announced at half-time to determine who Alabama would play in the second half.
• Calls for a restraining order against ESPN announcer Brent Musburger for his camera stalking and running commentary on AJ McCarron's girlfriend who also happens to be Miss Alabama. (It was reported that Katherine Webb picked up tens of thousands of new twitter followers during the game.)
- UT students are back! (14 replies)
- Union Ave, Ice Cream, and soup? (47 replies)
- Thanks for the memories! (1 reply)
- Free speech proves costly (4 replies)
- Local Motors to produce Olli self-driving vehicle in Knoxville (9 replies)
- Hillary Clinton campaign office to open in Knox County (11 replies)
- K-Mart N. Broadway gone (13 replies)
- How Haslam is reshaping Tennessee environmental rules (6 replies)
- a small but notable defeat for privatization (9 replies)
- Interest rates at (pre) historic lows (6 replies)
- Trump train changing direction? (30 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (56 replies)
- Aug 24 2016 - 12:00pm (18 hours 51 min from now)
- Aug 27 2016 - 2:00pm (3 days 20 hours from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (6 weeks 6 days from now)