If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- U.S. Army Ranger certified badasses (8 replies)
- so this is it ... (3 replies)
- Status of State Action on the Medicaid Expansion Decision (2 replies)
- Tivo deal alert (2 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (6 replies)
- City Council candidate forum (5 replies)
- EPA fines Rep. Andy Hold for illegal hog waste dumping (5 replies)
- Praise the Lord and pass the legislation! (32 replies)
- Redesign of Public Space at Riverwalk (22 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (5 replies)
- Court: City Council must vote on Pryor Brown surface parking lot (13 replies)
- U.S. tax cuts don't pay for themselves -Republican-appointed official says (3 replies)