If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (7 replies)
- Gang of 4.0 on radio this morning (1 reply)
- Yes, Virginia, there are Democrats on the ballot (9 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (42 replies)
- Here's why you should vote "yes" for all judicial retentions (1 reply)
- Briggs (187 replies)
- Jason Emert, Sleazy campaigner (3 replies)
- KNS running more misleading ads (2 replies)
- Education Meeting Tuesday at Central High School (4 replies)
- R.I.P. James Garner (5 replies)
- This Map Shows Just How Hot Your City Will Become Thanks to Climate Change (6 replies)
- Comcast customer "service" fail (16 replies)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 8 hours from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (3 days 23 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (1 week 27 min from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 7 hours from now)