If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- For theater/re lovers (1 reply)
- The Artful Dodger: Dr. Briggs "radio silence" on Cheri Siler's invitation to debate (37 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (42 replies)
- Redefining Scrooge (8 replies)
- High profile investor: Charter schools are a business (8 replies)
- ISIS (143 replies)
- Gordon Ball earns an 'F' from NRA (1 reply)
- Tennessee unemployment, poverty rates increase (1 reply)
- City of Alcoa-Sam's Club first step in New Urbanism? (7 replies)
- Discussion about new hybrid pension plan for TN educators (1 reply)
- Interesting background on new Attorney General (25 replies)
- Cagle: Tough times ahead for Haslsm (9 replies)
- Sep 22 2014 - 4:15pm (2 days 18 hours from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 6:15pm (3 days 20 hours from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 7:00pm (3 days 21 hours from now)
- Sep 25 2014 - 6:00pm (5 days 20 hours from now)