If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- Marsha, Marsha, Marsha: unlike Duncan, not afraid of constituents (3 replies)
- Louisville Point Park Eagle? (2 replies)
- Swedes confused/angered by Trump remark (5 replies)
- Traffic deaths expected to have hit troubling milestone (1 reply)
- LWV local news media forum (6 replies)
- The Great Backyard Bird Count is underway (4 replies)
- Concerns linger over future of AMSE after land transfer (1 reply)
- McCain Defends a Free Press: ‘That’s How Dictators Get Started’ (2 replies)
- Nearly one-third of TN high schoolers graduated without all course requirements in 2015 (4 replies)
- U.S. House sanctions hunting hibernating bears, wolf pups in their dens (2 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (101 replies)
- What's Going On? An update about road and greenway projects across Blount County (2 replies)
- Feb 22 2017 - 12:00pm (2 hours 51 min ago)
- Feb 23 2017 - 6:00pm (1 day 3 hours from now)
- Feb 27 2017 - 7:00pm (5 days 4 hours from now)