If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- Toxic chemicals from train incident suspected in Culton Creek fish kill (11 replies)
- school board meeting underway (100 replies)
- Concert performances you have experienced (and can remember) (54 replies)
- Cumberland Ave. project: There's an app for that (37 replies)
- Supreme Court rules against EPA on regulating mercury emissions (33 replies)
- Funny letter to the editor (10 replies)
- Sheriff's office stonewalling jail beating victim's lawyers? (9 replies)
- Celebrating with a Strawberry Cobbler (2 replies)
- Downtown teen curfew in Knoxville? (2 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (48 replies)
- Rail incident, evacuations ongoing in Blount Co. (13 replies)
- Haslam snubs Obama, again (11 replies)