If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- Tyson Park, not a family destination (9 replies)
- Superintendent's holiday message to teachers (10 replies)
- New York bans styrofoam (22 replies)
- The Paint Drying Channel (17 replies)
- Holiday cooking/baking tip (1 reply)
- Mark Harmon's "Knox Beat" old time radio show (10 replies)
- Zeitgeist Studies (1 reply)
- In Memoriam (5 replies)
- Survey: Perceptions of South Knoxville (5 replies)
- Lottery: it's all about the students (13 replies)
- Kaiser foundation on coverage gap (3 replies)
- Happy Anniversary to the Mrs. (8 replies)