If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- Grainger County 'maters (1 reply)
- Ijams rope course death (11 replies)
- HOV Lanes - ILEVs (4 replies)
- Haslam lays out plans for statewide road revenue tour (13 replies)
- Brewery, coffee roaster, others opening in South Knoxville (9 replies)
- Foster Arnett Parking Space + News Sentinel Removed Story (47 replies)
- Rep. Womick doubles down v. U.S. Supreme Court (13 replies)
- Foster Arnett: Hacked or unhinged? You decide (112 replies)
- McIntyre's week in review (5 replies)
- 50th anniversary of Medicare (1 reply)
- City Council at Large Race Seat C (9 replies)
- Arnett comes out of hiding (39 replies)