If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- What century is this again? (72 replies)
- Vertical farm can make 44,000 pounds of tomatoes on the side of a parking lot (8 replies)
- Walmart fired 2,200 to fix the plumbing (1 reply)
- Cumberland Ave. Redesign Detour/Closure (157 replies)
- N&W Class J No. 611 to Make Inaugural Run (2 replies)
- A word before you rush out to buy those plants.... (11 replies)
- "what gives liberals a bad name" (21 replies)
- Allergies are kicking my butt this spring (12 replies)
- DTV hosts Dr. Bob Kronick on the subject of community schools tonight. (5 replies)
- L.A. wants their school iPad money back (6 replies)
- Last ditch appeal to resurrect Insure Tennessee Medicaid expansion (5 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (27 replies)