If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- What's the deal with switchblades? (25 replies)
- RIP Bobby Drinnon (8 replies)
- Shoulda got Moxley (49 replies)
- Keep Knoxville Beautiful: Nominate a location to be beautified (6 replies)
- U.S. Senate candidate Terry Adams blasts Alexander on veteran votes (6 replies)
- Ex SR No. 4501 Passes FRA Boiler Inspection (1 reply)
- Teacher-candidate wins Seventh District seat by default (61 replies)
- Anti Union Picketing Bill is moving - deferred to next Tuesday 3/11 (13 replies)
- Herr Huffman-Rhee on TEA (3 replies)
- Major bitcoin exchange vanishes, along with $350 million (37 replies)
- Obamacare Just Made Americans Richer Without Anyone Noticing (1 reply)
- Stop the State Power Grab- NO Changes to the Right to Farm Act! (16 replies)
- Mar 8 2014 - 6:30pm (1 day 16 hours from now)
- Mar 20 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 6 days from now)