If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- What are Democrats fighting about? (22 replies)
- Prospects for county mayor (15 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (38 replies)
- Switzerland's Gotthard Train Tunnel Will Be World's Longest, Deepest (3 replies)
- Carie Wade Gervin lands at the Scene (6 replies)
- Andrew Johnson and historical guests (1 reply)
- TNGOP nuts win: UT will no longer promote diversity (1 reply)
- Up against the wall: Sanders supporters disrupt Nevada convention, issue death threats (60 replies)
- Knoxville mayor appoints three new MPC members (7 replies)
- Germany's renewable energy (14 replies)
- Wireless Smart Meters Coming Summer 2016 brought to you by KUB (4 replies)
- Sanders wins Oregon, splits Kentucky with Clinton (2 replies)