If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (289 replies)
- What's at stake with Amendment One (10 replies)
- Here's a fun way to explain our State Senate Race (7 replies)
- A Great Response to a False and Deceptive Ad (14 replies)
- Town Hall Forum (1 reply)
- International Baccalaureate (8 replies)
- ISIS+ (10 replies)
- We're calling a personal foul on Gloria Johnson's opponent (18 replies)
- Burlington is back (10 replies)
- Blackwater guards found guilty in Iraq shootings (8 replies)
- No-Show Smith finally shows up – But guess where? (16 replies)
- Haslam leaves Knox County out of Pre-K expansion (12 replies)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (4 days 5 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (4 days 5 hours from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (6 days 6 hours from now)