If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- E.W. Scripps getting out of the newspaper business (27 replies)
- Emerald Academy principal named (25 replies)
- TN House 18: Martin Daniel responds to Rep. Steve Hall attack (10 replies)
- Turnout predictions? (22 replies)
- NLRB rules on Browning-Ferris: MickyD's workers have the right to know for whom they work (4 replies)
- Adams and Ball spar at Bolivar candidate forum (33 replies)
- Women in Black vigils (2 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (47 replies)
- BREAKING: Tom Humphrey retiring (24 replies)
- Huffman caves (2 replies)
- News Sentinel website paywall broken (10 replies)
- ORNL was fixin' to learn y'all how to talk better (20 replies)