If we're going to arm teachers, they should be deputized and should have to obtain P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
POST qualifications include a clean criminal record, background check, and psychological evaluation among other things.
Certification requires 400 hours of classroom and field training that includes 40 hours of firearms training, 10 hours of EMT training, 40 hours of personal self defense and survival training, and 50 hours of legal training, among other things. (Teachers could probably be exempt from the 40 hours of vehicle operation and pursuit training requirements.)
Maintaining certification also requires 40 hours of in-service training during each calendar year.
The fees for certification range from $3000 to $7500 depending on jurisdiction and type of applicant.
- County Commissioner Brad Anders disciplined in police brutality case (157 replies)
- Famous people you have met (76 replies)
- Knox County educators to host roundtable discussion on teacher pay schedules (2 replies)
- WATE: Three more Pilot Flying J employees plead guilty (6 replies)
- With us or against us (4 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (257 replies)
- 2013 Shootings in Knox County, TN (59 replies)
- World's Fair Park development? (14 replies)
- How bad is the job market in Tennessee? (5 replies)
- Wheels coming off Meals on Wheels (3 replies)
- Pandora et al (2 replies)
- Pilot indictment watch (93 replies)
- Jun 19 2013 - 2:00pm (14 hours 25 min from now)
- Jun 20 2013 - 5:00pm (1 day 17 hours from now)
- Jun 22 2013 - 10:00am (3 days 10 hours from now)