“Buckwild”: Exploitative MTV Reality Show Comes to Laugh and Stare at Life in the Appalachian Mountains
The “Buckwild’” cast might be proud of their lifestyles, but to live that way intentionally would require exposure to the rest of the world that West Virginia education systems rarely offer. It’s not a “refreshing” choice, a valiant rejection of what the MTV producer called “the crap in daily life.” It’s ignorance.
And the politicians too:
"When Senator Manchin appeared, wide-eyed and out of touch, on the “Today” show, he sounded less like a competent spokesperson for a population that deserves to be taken seriously and exactly like the kind of provincial buffoon the cast of “Buckwild” would elect. His attempt to act the white knight, to take credit for defending his constituency without the accompanying responsibility for it, was just as embarrassing as the TV show promises to be.
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (84 replies)
- City to begin enforcing parking meter time limits (17 replies)
- Feeling old, again (12 replies)
- Mountaintop removal coal mining banned in East TN (1 reply)
- Trump's Cabinet (37 replies)
- Will Trump last four years? (47 replies)
- Jill Stein attempts to raise $2 million by Friday 4:00 pm for recounts (35 replies)
- Obama leaving economy better than he found it (4 replies)
- Is Trump a pathological liar? (1 reply)
- Standing Rock Sioux pipeline protest (1 reply)
- MLK Center Job Posting (1 reply)
- Feeling old (1 reply)