Culled from (too) many pulp fiction crime novels and dystopian tales from the coming apocalypse, here are some of my favorite (not necessarily "best" book) reads in 2012, in more or less reverse chronological order:
• Flight Behavior, Barbara Kingsolver
• In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
• Back to Blood, Tom Wolfe
• Mayday, Nelson DeMille and Thomas Block
• Bailout, Neil Barofsky
• Trust Me, I'm Lying, Ryan Holiday
• The Back Door Man, Dave Buschi
• The Passage of Power, Robert A. Caro
• The Wrecking Crew, Kent Hartman
• The One, RJ Smith
• Defending Jacob, William Landay
• Terawatt, Des Michaels
• The Litigators, John Grisham
I've started Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and so far it's pretty great.
One bio that I read and can't recommend is Gregg Allman's "My Cross to Bear." I love the Allman Bros. Band. Probably my all time favorite band. But the time I wasted on this crude, egotistical, misogynistic, drug-addled semi-literate memoir is my cross to bear. He should just shut up and play. Rolling Stone had an excerpt that is pretty much all you need to know, if that. Better yet, read Keith Richards' "Life" instead.
And "Bailout" was OK for an eyewitness account, but "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis remains my top favorite about the financial meltdown. Liked his "Moneyball" too.
What were your favorite reads of 2012? Post them in comments, we're always on the lookout.
(H/T to Josh Flory for the idea.)
- Who will be Tennessee's next governor? (17 replies)
- 170 schools to take part in Tenn.’s first ‘Student Mock Election’ (2 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (58 replies)
- Women's Suffrage Monument Unveiled in Nashville (5 replies)
- 2016 election could be decided by 20 counties (1 reply)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (369 replies)
- "It's a sad day for our city" - Maryville, Alcoa, Blount County (4 replies)
- Obamacare accountable care programs rang up $466 million in Medicare savings last year (2 replies)
- Blue Cross to raise rates by 62% for individual policies (37 replies)
- Rolling Stone: Hillary's New Deal (7 replies)
- Cheat sheet on why to vote for the Democratic candidate (1 reply)
- Mass shooting in Orlando (17 replies)