Culled from (too) many pulp fiction crime novels and dystopian tales from the coming apocalypse, here are some of my favorite (not necessarily "best" book) reads in 2012, in more or less reverse chronological order:
• Flight Behavior, Barbara Kingsolver
• In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
• Back to Blood, Tom Wolfe
• Mayday, Nelson DeMille and Thomas Block
• Bailout, Neil Barofsky
• Trust Me, I'm Lying, Ryan Holiday
• The Back Door Man, Dave Buschi
• The Passage of Power, Robert A. Caro
• The Wrecking Crew, Kent Hartman
• The One, RJ Smith
• Defending Jacob, William Landay
• Terawatt, Des Michaels
• The Litigators, John Grisham
I've started Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and so far it's pretty great.
One bio that I read and can't recommend is Gregg Allman's "My Cross to Bear." I love the Allman Bros. Band. Probably my all time favorite band. But the time I wasted on this crude, egotistical, misogynistic, drug-addled semi-literate memoir is my cross to bear. He should just shut up and play. Rolling Stone had an excerpt that is pretty much all you need to know, if that. Better yet, read Keith Richards' "Life" instead.
And "Bailout" was OK for an eyewitness account, but "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis remains my top favorite about the financial meltdown. Liked his "Moneyball" too.
What were your favorite reads of 2012? Post them in comments, we're always on the lookout.
(H/T to Josh Flory for the idea.)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (8 replies)
- Into the Belly of the Beast (3 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (6 replies)
- Big Brother is (was?) listening at the courthouse (5 replies)
- so this is it ... (7 replies)
- Status of State Action on the Medicaid Expansion Decision (2 replies)
- Tivo deal alert (2 replies)
- City Council candidate forum (5 replies)
- EPA fines Rep. Andy Hold for illegal hog waste dumping (5 replies)
- Praise the Lord and pass the legislation! (32 replies)
- Redesign of Public Space at Riverwalk (22 replies)
- Court: City Council must vote on Pryor Brown surface parking lot (13 replies)