Culled from (too) many pulp fiction crime novels and dystopian tales from the coming apocalypse, here are some of my favorite (not necessarily "best" book) reads in 2012, in more or less reverse chronological order:
• Flight Behavior, Barbara Kingsolver
• In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
• Back to Blood, Tom Wolfe
• Mayday, Nelson DeMille and Thomas Block
• Bailout, Neil Barofsky
• Trust Me, I'm Lying, Ryan Holiday
• The Back Door Man, Dave Buschi
• The Passage of Power, Robert A. Caro
• The Wrecking Crew, Kent Hartman
• The One, RJ Smith
• Defending Jacob, William Landay
• Terawatt, Des Michaels
• The Litigators, John Grisham
I've started Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and so far it's pretty great.
One bio that I read and can't recommend is Gregg Allman's "My Cross to Bear." I love the Allman Bros. Band. Probably my all time favorite band. But the time I wasted on this crude, egotistical, misogynistic, drug-addled semi-literate memoir is my cross to bear. He should just shut up and play. Rolling Stone had an excerpt that is pretty much all you need to know, if that. Better yet, read Keith Richards' "Life" instead.
And "Bailout" was OK for an eyewitness account, but "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis remains my top favorite about the financial meltdown. Liked his "Moneyball" too.
What were your favorite reads of 2012? Post them in comments, we're always on the lookout.
(H/T to Josh Flory for the idea.)
- Mayor Burchett goes off on Gov. Haslam re. mental health treatment funding (12 replies)
- Trump uniting the GOP? (2 replies)
- Sanders wins Oregon, splits Kentucky with Clinton (3 replies)
- UAW endorses Hillary Clinton (1 reply)
- Switzerland's Gotthard Train Tunnel Will Be World's Longest, Deepest (4 replies)
- Help a deserving Fulton High student go to Australia (1 reply)
- Vacation snapshots (4 replies)
- Some South Knoxville businesses forced to move as rent increases (8 replies)
- Tennessee's new prison stops taking inmates (1 reply)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (39 replies)
- Hot fun in the Summertime (4 replies)
- Prospects for county mayor (16 replies)