Today was the regional competition for TSA. Regionals are generally somewhat low-key and are more about seeing the local competition than anything else.
Karns, Bearden Middle, and Robertson Middle appear to be the strongest teams this year. Once again, I worked concessions, though this year my wife worked it with me so she could correct all the mistakes I was making.
I thoroughly enjoy academic competition. Listening to the kids stories, both in triumph and defeat, is like listening to sports radio about academics. ("Dude, you forgot to count the neutrons, duh! What were you thinking?!")
On a personal note my son's structural engineering team built a structure that withstood 765 pounds of force to win the competition. Second place built a structure that withstood 120 pounds of force. No one but Bearden got to 120 lbs. last year at state and Bearden was disqualified. 500 lbs. is considered the benchmark that is the edge of what's possible and 765 may well be a national record. At this point, the number seems so unbelievable, I feel like I was at Mexico City watching Bob Beamon.
I will post the results as I find them online.
All the kids did an outstanding job and working these events is always a pleasure. Go Bruins!
- Sen. Alexander, you should be ashamed (3 replies)
- BCBS Pulling Out of TN Metros (14 replies)
- Let's get ready to rumble! (18 replies)
- Toxic air pollution nanoparticles discovered in the human brain (1 reply)
- Butt probe (8 replies)
- UT vs UF - it's on (15 replies)
- The millennial vote? (8 replies)
- I called the Wells Fargo ethics line and was fired (3 replies)
- Trump Health Plan Would Raise Costs, Clinton's Would Insure More (1 reply)
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (28 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (62 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday selling Maryville headquarters (5 replies)
- Sep 28 2016 - 12:00pm (19 hours 20 min from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 5:00pm (2 days 20 min from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 6:00pm (2 days 1 hour from now)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 2 days from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (1 week 6 days from now)