Today was the regional competition for TSA. Regionals are generally somewhat low-key and are more about seeing the local competition than anything else.
Karns, Bearden Middle, and Robertson Middle appear to be the strongest teams this year. Once again, I worked concessions, though this year my wife worked it with me so she could correct all the mistakes I was making.
I thoroughly enjoy academic competition. Listening to the kids stories, both in triumph and defeat, is like listening to sports radio about academics. ("Dude, you forgot to count the neutrons, duh! What were you thinking?!")
On a personal note my son's structural engineering team built a structure that withstood 765 pounds of force to win the competition. Second place built a structure that withstood 120 pounds of force. No one but Bearden got to 120 lbs. last year at state and Bearden was disqualified. 500 lbs. is considered the benchmark that is the edge of what's possible and 765 may well be a national record. At this point, the number seems so unbelievable, I feel like I was at Mexico City watching Bob Beamon.
I will post the results as I find them online.
All the kids did an outstanding job and working these events is always a pleasure. Go Bruins!
- You know you're getting old... (7 replies)
- World's Fair Park development? (17 replies)
- Pilot indictment watch (96 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (260 replies)
- Weber grills keep on grillin' (1 reply)
- Spending good money for a really bad website (1 reply)
- Knox County educators to host roundtable discussion on teacher pay schedules (10 replies)
- County Commissioner Brad Anders disciplined in police brutality case (165 replies)
- Waiting for the Fed (1 reply)
- Tennessee and Fiat (3 replies)
- How bad is the job market in Tennessee? (8 replies)
- Famous people you have met (80 replies)