The University of Tennessee will begin the bidding process to lease land in Morgan and Scott Counties for fracking, hydraulic fracturing. UT will receive royalties from the production of gas or oil, all in the name of research.
That money, said UT officials, would finance the research into how fracking affects surrounding wildlife, geology and air and water quality.
The land is north of I-40 at Harriman, between Oliver Springs and Wartburg. Here are some of the potential parcels.
Morgan County, State Road 62, Parcel Number 120 129.0, 2,777 acres, just south of Frozen Head State Park
Morgan County, US Route 27, Parcel Number 130 017.0, 1,197 acres, just south of Frozen Head State Park
Scott County, Morgan/Scott County line, Parcel Number 150 006.0, 2,659 acres, just north of Frozen Head State Park
- Haslam's legacy (20 replies)
- The best states for bicycling (12 replies)
- David Letterman signs off (2 replies)
- Good guys just stand out (1 reply)
- Mark Harmon on American Exceptionalism (3 replies)
- DTV Features Honor Air Knoxville and Eddie Mannis (1 reply)
- Boy Scout president calls for end to ban on gay leaders (2 replies)
- Haven't bragged about the SIL lately (3 replies)
- State and federal complaints filed against Knoxville charity (18 replies)
- Politically connected defendant will plead guilty to a lesser charge (9 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (38 replies)
- Takata Air Bag Recall grows (5 replies)
- May 22 2015 - 6:00pm (6 min 52 sec ago)
- May 22 2015 - 7:30pm (1 hour 23 min from now)
- May 26 2015 - 5:30pm (3 days 23 hours from now)
- May 27 2015 - 5:30pm (4 days 23 hours from now)