The University of Tennessee will begin the bidding process to lease land in Morgan and Scott Counties for fracking, hydraulic fracturing. UT will receive royalties from the production of gas or oil, all in the name of research.
That money, said UT officials, would finance the research into how fracking affects surrounding wildlife, geology and air and water quality.
The land is north of I-40 at Harriman, between Oliver Springs and Wartburg. Here are some of the potential parcels.
Morgan County, State Road 62, Parcel Number 120 129.0, 2,777 acres, just south of Frozen Head State Park
Morgan County, US Route 27, Parcel Number 130 017.0, 1,197 acres, just south of Frozen Head State Park
Scott County, Morgan/Scott County line, Parcel Number 150 006.0, 2,659 acres, just north of Frozen Head State Park
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (13 replies)
- Jonathan Turley - "Get ready for an even bigger threat to Obamacare" (9 replies)
- Should Knox Co. Democrats cross over in the upcoming primaries? (42 replies)
- Jason Emert, Sleazy campaigner (5 replies)
- No Credit? No Problem (3 replies)
- Gang of 4.0 on radio this morning (2 replies)
- Adams fundraising update (1 reply)
- Yes, Virginia, there are Democrats on the ballot (9 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (42 replies)
- Here's why you should vote "yes" for all judicial retentions (1 reply)
- Briggs (187 replies)
- KNS running more misleading ads (2 replies)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 3 hours from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (3 days 18 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (6 days 19 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 2 hours from now)