The University of Tennessee will begin the bidding process to lease land in Morgan and Scott Counties for fracking, hydraulic fracturing. UT will receive royalties from the production of gas or oil, all in the name of research.
That money, said UT officials, would finance the research into how fracking affects surrounding wildlife, geology and air and water quality.
The land is north of I-40 at Harriman, between Oliver Springs and Wartburg. Here are some of the potential parcels.
Morgan County, State Road 62, Parcel Number 120 129.0, 2,777 acres, just south of Frozen Head State Park
Morgan County, US Route 27, Parcel Number 130 017.0, 1,197 acres, just south of Frozen Head State Park
Scott County, Morgan/Scott County line, Parcel Number 150 006.0, 2,659 acres, just north of Frozen Head State Park
- The new standard for Knox Co. Schools? (11 replies)
- McMillan elected School Board Chair (1 reply)
- Um, Greg Johnson? Haslam's free tuition plan NOT "first-in-the-nation," just screwiest (8 replies)
- ISIS+ (3 replies)
- EBT confusion (96 replies)
- Well, this is awkward (29 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (82 replies)
- What's The Strategy for Fighting Amendment One? (11 replies)
- Briggs misleads, comes across as a bully (20 replies)
- Shopper-News online (3 replies)
- Briggs and Military Uniform policy (5 replies)
- Knox County 2014 State Primary and County General Election Sample Ballot (3 replies)
- Oct 2 2014 - 6:00pm (17 hours 31 min from now)
- Oct 5 2014 - 2:00pm (3 days 13 hours from now)
- Oct 6 2014 - 6:15pm (4 days 17 hours from now)