The University of Tennessee will begin the bidding process to lease land in Morgan and Scott Counties for fracking, hydraulic fracturing. UT will receive royalties from the production of gas or oil, all in the name of research.
That money, said UT officials, would finance the research into how fracking affects surrounding wildlife, geology and air and water quality.
The land is north of I-40 at Harriman, between Oliver Springs and Wartburg. Here are some of the potential parcels.
Morgan County, State Road 62, Parcel Number 120 129.0, 2,777 acres, just south of Frozen Head State Park
Morgan County, US Route 27, Parcel Number 130 017.0, 1,197 acres, just south of Frozen Head State Park
Scott County, Morgan/Scott County line, Parcel Number 150 006.0, 2,659 acres, just north of Frozen Head State Park
- RIP Retired KSO Violinist and WUOT Program Director Norris Dyer (10 replies)
- Gene Patterson leaving WATE (15 replies)
- Spend a day in a High School Student's shoes (4 replies)
- Throwback Thursday: October, 2009 (6 replies)
- Vote no on Amendment 1, skip vote for governor (or maybe not?) (75 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (86 replies)
- The Closing Days of 2014 Election (2 replies)
- Biting the hand for good cause (1 reply)
- PAC Money spent to fight Gloria Johnson (2 replies)
- Knoxville.com reviews Sassy Ann's (12 replies)
- ISIS (144 replies)
- The Best #Democracy Money Can Buy? (16 replies)
- Nov 2 2014 - 3:00pm (2 days 4 hours from now)
- Nov 4 2014 - 8:00pm (4 days 9 hours from now)