Scenic Knoxville, an advocacy group that is supporting a ban on new billboards and digital billboards in Knox County, is headline news today because the organization's president accidentally sent an email to Knox County Commissioners where she said they PLAN TO LET THE PUBLIC KNOW HOW COMMISSIONERS WERE LIKELY TO VOTE ahead of the actual vote in January.
At least two commissioners said it was "disappointing". Really? And Greg Issacs, the attorney for Lamar Advertising, called it "internet intimidation" to let constituents know how commissioners were likely to vote.
Must have been a slow news day today. Actually the publicity may help bring more awareness to the issue, which is what Scenic Knoxville is trying to do. Because most people don't like billboards and think they are ugly. There are good reasons why they are often called "sky trash" and "litter on a stick". Billboards decrease residential property values nearby. Their purpose is to distract drivers. And there's a whole lot of other reasons why billboards are bad for an area that you can read about for yourself.
Decide for yourself. Then take a moment and contact your Knox County Commissioners (or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org) and let them know how you feel. Even better, come to County Commission's workshop on November 29th at 4:00 pm in the City/County building and hear the discussion for yourself and join in if they allow it.
*disclaimer - I am on the board of Scenic Knoxville and support the proposed resolutions.
- Blurring the Racial Lines (44 replies)
- Geek stuff: Droid Turbo (9 replies)
- The banality of evil (12 replies)
- NYT Calls for prosecution of Cheney et al for torture in today's editorial (1 reply)
- DG tissues: what you see (3 replies)
- KnoxViews 2014 year in review (4 replies)
- What are best places to get soup in Knoxville? (19 replies)
- Autism Risk Linked to Particulate Air Pollution (6 replies)
- NLRB issues complaints since McDonald's qualifies as joint employer (2 replies)
- City to rebid Cumberland Ave. project (52 replies)
- Happy birthday to the Mr. (42 replies)
- Circle Modern Dance Primitive Light (2 replies)