Scenic Knoxville, an advocacy group that is supporting a ban on new billboards and digital billboards in Knox County, is headline news today because the organization's president accidentally sent an email to Knox County Commissioners where she said they PLAN TO LET THE PUBLIC KNOW HOW COMMISSIONERS WERE LIKELY TO VOTE ahead of the actual vote in January.
At least two commissioners said it was "disappointing". Really? And Greg Issacs, the attorney for Lamar Advertising, called it "internet intimidation" to let constituents know how commissioners were likely to vote.
Must have been a slow news day today. Actually the publicity may help bring more awareness to the issue, which is what Scenic Knoxville is trying to do. Because most people don't like billboards and think they are ugly. There are good reasons why they are often called "sky trash" and "litter on a stick". Billboards decrease residential property values nearby. Their purpose is to distract drivers. And there's a whole lot of other reasons why billboards are bad for an area that you can read about for yourself.
Decide for yourself. Then take a moment and contact your Knox County Commissioners (or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org) and let them know how you feel. Even better, come to County Commission's workshop on November 29th at 4:00 pm in the City/County building and hear the discussion for yourself and join in if they allow it.
*disclaimer - I am on the board of Scenic Knoxville and support the proposed resolutions.
- Other reasons KNS might be losing subscribers (20 replies)
- Glenn Reynolds: Libertarian Fascist? (50 replies)
- Here we go again (19 replies)
- Vertical farm can make 44,000 pounds of tomatoes on the side of a parking lot (2 replies)
- Frank Cagle nails the Voucher Issue (15 replies)
- Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline bill (11 replies)
- NAAWP? Seriously? (8 replies)
- Tennessee considers for-profit public benefit corporate entities (50 replies)
- Tennessee Republican offers bill to nullify Farragut's town charter (10 replies)
- Check on your family and friends (2 replies)
- Clueless quote of the day (5 replies)
- The deaths not counted in this winter storm reporting,,,, (3 replies)