Obama just gave a speech outlining his plan to address the "fiscal cliff." He says it has to be balanced, and that any compromise must have both spending cuts and new revenues or he won't accept it. He also called for an immediate extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making less than $250K, which has already passed in the Senate. He called on the House to take action, saying "I've got a pen, and I'm ready to sign it." He said this would eliminate uncertainty for 98% of taxpayers and 97% of small businesses.
UPDATE: Markets react poorly, pulling back sharply from today's earlier gains.
UPDATE: Transcript of Obama's remarks...
- Yes, Virginia, there are Democrats on the ballot (8 replies)
- Jason Emert, Sleazy campaigner (3 replies)
- Briggs (186 replies)
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (3 replies)
- KNS running more misleading ads (2 replies)
- Education Meeting Tuesday at Central High School (4 replies)
- R.I.P. James Garner (5 replies)
- This Map Shows Just How Hot Your City Will Become Thanks to Climate Change (6 replies)
- Comcast customer "service" fail (16 replies)
- I did not know this about U.S. Senate campaign finance reports (2 replies)
- Campaign finance sampling (28 replies)
- Why most employers aren’t like Starbucks and Costco (1 reply)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 14 hours from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (4 days 5 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (1 week 6 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 14 hours from now)