Obama just gave a speech outlining his plan to address the "fiscal cliff." He says it has to be balanced, and that any compromise must have both spending cuts and new revenues or he won't accept it. He also called for an immediate extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making less than $250K, which has already passed in the Senate. He called on the House to take action, saying "I've got a pen, and I'm ready to sign it." He said this would eliminate uncertainty for 98% of taxpayers and 97% of small businesses.
UPDATE: Markets react poorly, pulling back sharply from today's earlier gains.
UPDATE: Transcript of Obama's remarks...
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (17 replies)
- Big Ears is here (7 replies)
- The payday lending industry is in for a rude awakening (3 replies)
- Brackin's Blues Club Closed? (9 replies)
- Retirement Crisis: The Great 401(k) Experiment Has Failed for Many Americans (4 replies)
- Other reasons KNS might be losing subscribers (72 replies)
- Burchett nixes honorary resolution for Knox County women's groups (20 replies)
- Cades Cove, Daffodils, and the CCC (1 reply)
- Tenn. sues to preserve monopolies, restrict citizens' internet access (10 replies)
- Knoxville Mercury survey (1 reply)
- When avoiding ‘climate change’ is literally laughable (2 replies)
- BREAKING: Disturbed Man Tries to Get Into White House (12 replies)