Obama just gave a speech outlining his plan to address the "fiscal cliff." He says it has to be balanced, and that any compromise must have both spending cuts and new revenues or he won't accept it. He also called for an immediate extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making less than $250K, which has already passed in the Senate. He called on the House to take action, saying "I've got a pen, and I'm ready to sign it." He said this would eliminate uncertainty for 98% of taxpayers and 97% of small businesses.
UPDATE: Markets react poorly, pulling back sharply from today's earlier gains.
UPDATE: Transcript of Obama's remarks...
- Why America won't do anything about gun violence (53 replies)
- Just when you thought KNS couldn't suck any worse... (12 replies)
- National walk to school day (6 replies)
- CBO: Budget deficit smallest since 2007 (7 replies)
- State Board of Ed poised to approve six new charters over Nashville BOE objections (3 replies)
- Now what? (1 reply)
- Sanity prevails, at least temporarily, in Blount Co. (10 replies)
- Breakthrough: Artificial "leaf" imitates photosynthesis to generate power from sunlight (5 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (68 replies)
- Employment increased by 142,000 in September (2 replies)
- Lost Mailbox Leads to Time Warp (8 replies)
- Co. Commission to ask God not to destroy Blount Co. because of the gays (5 replies)
- Oct 13 2015 - 7:30pm (4 days 23 hours from now)
- Oct 13 2015 - 8:00pm (5 days 15 min from now)