Obama just gave a speech outlining his plan to address the "fiscal cliff." He says it has to be balanced, and that any compromise must have both spending cuts and new revenues or he won't accept it. He also called for an immediate extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making less than $250K, which has already passed in the Senate. He called on the House to take action, saying "I've got a pen, and I'm ready to sign it." He said this would eliminate uncertainty for 98% of taxpayers and 97% of small businesses.
UPDATE: Markets react poorly, pulling back sharply from today's earlier gains.
UPDATE: Transcript of Obama's remarks...
- Gordon Ball earns an 'F' from NRA (1 reply)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (39 replies)
- High profile investor: Charter schools are a business (7 replies)
- Tennessee unemployment, poverty rates increase (1 reply)
- City of Alcoa-Sam's Club first step in New Urbanism? (7 replies)
- The Artful Dodger: Dr. Briggs "radio silence" on Cheri Siler's invitation to debate (35 replies)
- Discussion about new hybrid pension plan for TN educators (1 reply)
- Interesting background on new Attorney General (25 replies)
- Redefining Scrooge (7 replies)
- Cagle: Tough times ahead for Haslsm (9 replies)
- Most educated town in every state (2 replies)
- Clark: Cornerstone playing hardball with new School Board member John Fugate (7 replies)
- Sep 22 2014 - 4:15pm (3 days 2 hours from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 6:15pm (4 days 4 hours from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 7:00pm (4 days 5 hours from now)
- Sep 25 2014 - 6:00pm (6 days 4 hours from now)