Obama just gave a speech outlining his plan to address the "fiscal cliff." He says it has to be balanced, and that any compromise must have both spending cuts and new revenues or he won't accept it. He also called for an immediate extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making less than $250K, which has already passed in the Senate. He called on the House to take action, saying "I've got a pen, and I'm ready to sign it." He said this would eliminate uncertainty for 98% of taxpayers and 97% of small businesses.
UPDATE: Markets react poorly, pulling back sharply from today's earlier gains.
UPDATE: Transcript of Obama's remarks...
- Insure Tennessee debate heats up, outside money flowing in (16 replies)
- 13th Annual ChiliFest! (1 reply)
- If "The Smart Bush" Runs (2 replies)
- State fee to ride your bicycle on the South Loop Urban Wilderness Trail? (22 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday reports mounting losses, continuing decline in same store sales (35 replies)
- Income disparity in Tennessee (11 replies)
- A couple of looks at sexual assault (6 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (6 replies)
- Samantha Manning no longer with WATE (5 replies)
- Ice oddity (8 replies)
- Headline fail (8 replies)
- Answers at Saturday's annual SPJ legislative session (8 replies)
- Feb 2 2015 - 6:15pm (1 day 19 hours from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 4:30pm (4 days 17 hours from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (4 days 18 hours from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (6 days 16 hours from now)