Obama just gave a speech outlining his plan to address the "fiscal cliff." He says it has to be balanced, and that any compromise must have both spending cuts and new revenues or he won't accept it. He also called for an immediate extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making less than $250K, which has already passed in the Senate. He called on the House to take action, saying "I've got a pen, and I'm ready to sign it." He said this would eliminate uncertainty for 98% of taxpayers and 97% of small businesses.
UPDATE: Markets react poorly, pulling back sharply from today's earlier gains.
UPDATE: Transcript of Obama's remarks...
- Let's get ready to rumble! (16 replies)
- BCBS Pulling Out of TN Metros (12 replies)
- UT vs UF - it's on (15 replies)
- The millennial vote? (8 replies)
- I called the Wells Fargo ethics line and was fired (3 replies)
- Butt probe (4 replies)
- Trump Health Plan Would Raise Costs, Clinton's Would Insure More (1 reply)
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (28 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (62 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday selling Maryville headquarters (5 replies)
- Clinton, Trump 2016 Presidential Debate - 9/26/2016, 9 PM (8 replies)
- Clinton supporter fear? (16 replies)
- Sep 28 2016 - 12:00pm (1 day 31 min from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 5:00pm (2 days 5 hours from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 6:00pm (2 days 6 hours from now)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 2 days from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (1 week 6 days from now)