Obama just gave a speech outlining his plan to address the "fiscal cliff." He says it has to be balanced, and that any compromise must have both spending cuts and new revenues or he won't accept it. He also called for an immediate extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making less than $250K, which has already passed in the Senate. He called on the House to take action, saying "I've got a pen, and I'm ready to sign it." He said this would eliminate uncertainty for 98% of taxpayers and 97% of small businesses.
UPDATE: Markets react poorly, pulling back sharply from today's earlier gains.
UPDATE: Transcript of Obama's remarks...
- Sanders addresses supporters in Philadelphia (6 replies)
- DNC Convention thread - Monday edition (5 replies)
- Cumberland Avenue is a mess (9 replies)
- Think twice about routine dental x-rays (2 replies)
- Debbie Wasserman Shultz removed from convention chair post (82 replies)
- SoKno: Rivers Edge Apartment Homes (2 replies)
- Time running out for free Windows 10 upgrade (12 replies)
- Musicians who don't like Trump and don't appreciate him using their music (5 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (49 replies)
- Clinton picks Kaine (12 replies)
- Bernie's Statement to His Supporters on His Endorsement of Hillary (13 replies)
- Analysts say Trump's economic plan would be a disaster (1 reply)
- Jul 27 2016 - 12:00pm (1 day 15 hours from now)
- Jul 28 2016 - 3:00pm (2 days 18 hours from now)