Obama just gave a speech outlining his plan to address the "fiscal cliff." He says it has to be balanced, and that any compromise must have both spending cuts and new revenues or he won't accept it. He also called for an immediate extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making less than $250K, which has already passed in the Senate. He called on the House to take action, saying "I've got a pen, and I'm ready to sign it." He said this would eliminate uncertainty for 98% of taxpayers and 97% of small businesses.
UPDATE: Markets react poorly, pulling back sharply from today's earlier gains.
UPDATE: Transcript of Obama's remarks...
- Blue Cross to raise rates by 62% for individual policies (16 replies)
- K-Mart N. Broadway gone (20 replies)
- Local Motors to produce Olli self-driving vehicle in Knoxville (10 replies)
- Union Ave, Ice Cream, and soup? (48 replies)
- UT students are back! (14 replies)
- Thanks for the memories! (1 reply)
- Free speech proves costly (4 replies)
- Hillary Clinton campaign office to open in Knox County (11 replies)
- How Haslam is reshaping Tennessee environmental rules (6 replies)
- a small but notable defeat for privatization (9 replies)
- Interest rates at (pre) historic lows (6 replies)
- Trump train changing direction? (30 replies)
- Aug 24 2016 - 12:00pm (9 hours 6 min ago)
- Aug 27 2016 - 2:00pm (2 days 16 hours from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (6 weeks 5 days from now)