Obama just gave a speech outlining his plan to address the "fiscal cliff." He says it has to be balanced, and that any compromise must have both spending cuts and new revenues or he won't accept it. He also called for an immediate extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making less than $250K, which has already passed in the Senate. He called on the House to take action, saying "I've got a pen, and I'm ready to sign it." He said this would eliminate uncertainty for 98% of taxpayers and 97% of small businesses.
UPDATE: Markets react poorly, pulling back sharply from today's earlier gains.
UPDATE: Transcript of Obama's remarks...
- Laying the foundation (7 replies)
- McIntyre: Burchett remarks "appalling" and "ignorant" (34 replies)
- JD3 cleared to run for Congress (27 replies)
- The "newsroom of the future" without Chas Sisk (3 replies)
- Episcopal Church approves liturgy for blessing same-gender unions (4 replies)
- Unemployment up in Tennessee (9 replies)
- Why can't the US make erasers? (10 replies)
- 10th anniversay of US invasion of Iraq (43 replies)
- Patient advocates say insurers avoiding the sick (2 replies)
- Knoxville attorney Terry Adams announces for U.S. Senate (7 replies)
- TN Supreme Court Ruling on Property Rights (4 replies)
- Books Sandwiched In Welcomes Alvin Nance This Wednesday! (3 replies)