Obama just gave a speech outlining his plan to address the "fiscal cliff." He says it has to be balanced, and that any compromise must have both spending cuts and new revenues or he won't accept it. He also called for an immediate extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making less than $250K, which has already passed in the Senate. He called on the House to take action, saying "I've got a pen, and I'm ready to sign it." He said this would eliminate uncertainty for 98% of taxpayers and 97% of small businesses.
UPDATE: Markets react poorly, pulling back sharply from today's earlier gains.
UPDATE: Transcript of Obama's remarks...
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (33 replies)
- Emerald Academy principal named (35 replies)
- E.W. Scripps getting out of the newspaper business (39 replies)
- Sales tax holiday weekend starts today (2 replies)
- Huffman caves (4 replies)
- TN House 18: Martin Daniel responds to Rep. Steve Hall attack (11 replies)
- Ice-free Arctic may come as soon as 2054, study says (9 replies)
- First Friday Celebration with Knox Co Democratic Party (1 reply)
- Turnout predictions? (22 replies)
- NLRB rules on Browning-Ferris: MickyD's workers have the right to know for whom they work (4 replies)
- Adams and Ball spar at Bolivar candidate forum (33 replies)
- Women in Black vigils (2 replies)