Between Gloria Johnson's victory and the dominant showing by Obama, I should be happy. But I'm not.
I'm grateful and thankful to and for Randy Neal, Troy Goodale, and Anthony Hancock. But all politics is local politics and to hell with this "Well, you know, we tried real hard and did the best we could and blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda ,yadda." We lost and we could have done better. I'm emotionally drained and physically tired. My heart went out to Troy who tragically lost a dear friend in the midst of the election. Sometimes the connections one makes during the course of these elections boil down to "this is a decent guy" or "this guy's an asshole/idiot/hack/etc." In the sense that I felt strongly that the candidates I supported and interacted with were truly good people, this election was a success. In the sense that I could have, or the candidates reasonably could have done something to change the outcome of their respective races, I will go to sleep knowing that they went down the way they were going to go down this time.
Yet when it comes to the big picture, the abstract question as to whether or not these races are winnable I'll sleep with nagging doubts about how Democrats are going to take back political offices if we don't even take ourselves and our own seriously. I hope Anthony and Troy run again. I would love to break down these numbers and work on a comprehensive strategy for winning in 2014. But they'll need support from the party and coverage in the press. Press will follow newsworthy events, particularly if there is free food for the reporters. The party is the question mark.
This area won big with Gloria. We need her leadership, both at home and in Nashville. But if we view it as a victory rather than a foothold, we're not doing her nor the citizens the justice they deserve. We need to break down results, find out what we did right and wrong and come up with a strategy to get the candidates to the people and a strategy to raise money. We must come up with new models if the old ones aren't working. I think we had the right folks running, we just ran out of time as the ideas were beginning to take form. And I think we should get to work on 2014.
- Geek stuff: Droid Turbo (1 reply)
- RIP Retired KSO Violinist and WUOT Program Director Norris Dyer (10 replies)
- Gene Patterson leaving WATE (15 replies)
- Spend a day in a High School Student's shoes (4 replies)
- Throwback Thursday: October, 2009 (6 replies)
- Vote no on Amendment 1, skip vote for governor (or maybe not?) (75 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (86 replies)
- The Closing Days of 2014 Election (2 replies)
- Biting the hand for good cause (1 reply)
- PAC Money spent to fight Gloria Johnson (2 replies)
- Knoxville.com reviews Sassy Ann's (12 replies)
- ISIS (144 replies)
- Nov 2 2014 - 3:00pm (2 days 4 hours from now)
- Nov 4 2014 - 8:00pm (4 days 9 hours from now)