Westboro Baptist Church is bringing their message of hate to Knoxville today, to be "preached in respectful, lawful proximity to the memorial of Spc. Shan E. Lively Thursday, October 18, at 11:15 a.m. Rose Mortuary, Broadway Chapel 1421 N. Broadway, Knoxville, TN." If you are not familiar with the Westboro Baptist cult you can google them yourself.
Someone has organized a counter protest. Their Facebook page says "We will begin forming a peaceful counter protest in the form of a Human Wall at Rose Mortuary at approximately 9AM. They are set to begin their protest at 11:15 AM. PLEASE be respectful of the Rose Mortuary's parking, leave that for the family and friends. Carpool as your able."
We hope there will be plenty of law enforcement on hand to shield the family from Westboro's hateful display and arrest any of them who cross the line.
Shan Lively was a medic with the Army 844th Engineering Battalion in Knoxville and served in Iraq for twelve months.
(CORRECTION: Information posted earlier about the circumstances of Shan Lively's passing was incorrect. I was confusing him with another area soldier who died recently. My apologies.)
- Autism Risk Linked to Particulate Air Pollution (2 replies)
- Happy birthday to the Mr. (40 replies)
- City to rebid Cumberland Ave. project (36 replies)
- What are best places to get soup in Knoxville? (18 replies)
- NLRB issues complaints since McDonald's qualifies as joint employer (1 reply)
- Geek stuff: Droid Turbo (8 replies)
- The banality of evil (5 replies)
- Circle Modern Dance Primitive Light (2 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (76 replies)
- Blurring the Racial Lines (16 replies)
- What Every State in the U.S. Is Worst at (17 replies)
- don't forget, it's hanukah (5 replies)