This morning, the Ethics Committee met to consider applicants for two ostensibly open positions on the Committee, those appointed by the Committee itself. The applicants included two standing members of the committee, and 22 outside applicants, many of which I would consider very highly qualified and would add greatly to the Committee.
However, after interviewing the applicants, the two rounds of voting went as follows:
Round 1- Committee nominated their two standing members only. After one round of voting, the Chair was re-appointed to the Committee.
Round 2- Committee nominated the remaining standing member only. Obviously, she was re-appointed.
None of the 22 outside applicants were even considered for voting. The process left everyone in the room discouraged at best.
(I don't mean to imply, of course, that the existing members who were reappointed are not qualified or should not have been reappointed. However, the process is clearly flawed, that those members did not even have to compete with outside applicants for votes)
If we wonder why people are disinterested and frustrated with participating in local government, why voter turnout is low, and why there remains distrust- this morning's actions are the perfect example of why.
And yes, in case you are wondering, Committee members CAN vote for their own reappointment.
- Grace Hopper: The Queen of Code (2 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (9 replies)
- If "The Smart Bush" Runs (3 replies)
- Insure Tennessee debate heats up, outside money flowing in (16 replies)
- 13th Annual ChiliFest! (1 reply)
- State fee to ride your bicycle on the South Loop Urban Wilderness Trail? (22 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday reports mounting losses, continuing decline in same store sales (35 replies)
- Income disparity in Tennessee (11 replies)
- A couple of looks at sexual assault (6 replies)
- Samantha Manning no longer with WATE (5 replies)
- Ice oddity (8 replies)
- Headline fail (8 replies)
- Feb 2 2015 - 6:15pm (22 hours 52 min from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 4:30pm (3 days 21 hours from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (3 days 22 hours from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (5 days 20 hours from now)