My brother in NJ sent me this link and asked me what I thought of it. He's considering retiring down here, but this story unnerved him:
Summary: because voting numbers are dropping, and population isn't growing within the city limits, Knoxville is dying. Never mind when you see a revitalized downtown, with movie theatres, farmer's markets in Market Square, people milling about EVERY EVENING downtown... just ignore all that, because the city is dying, OK?
I told him it was ignorant on both counts:
- Voting numbers down because people are happy (and complacent) after 10 years of great mayors and strong development. Local politically active people still vote and participate, but Average Joe doesn't vote because he's happy.
- The City isn't growing in population because we're all built out, and the new housing development is all done in the County and outlying areas. I explained that the MPC had recently run all the numbers and shown how much we can grow under certain zoning regs.
I could analyze his other errors, like his absurd comparison of current budgets to 1980 (dude, ever heard of inflation? Houses and salaries go up over 30+ years).
My brother asked "Who is this George Korda guy, then? Does he even live in Knoxville?" I responded:
> Well, every village has an idiot, I suppose. Most people
> around here don't take George very seriously. His
> analysis is shown to be wrong > 90% of the time.
But this article in CityView really does harm to Knoxville. What he heck is his motivation? Is it a swipe at Rogero?
But I think I kept two potential retirees considering Knoxville over Asheville. You're welcome, George.
- Stop Wasting Votes by Crossing Over (8 replies)
- Ball fails to file timely campaign finance disclosure (3 replies)
- Boomsday will be mostly free after all (7 replies)
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (21 replies)
- the future of public education (3 replies)
- Follies redux (1 reply)
- Stop-Start Vehicle Technology Saves Gas: Study (1 reply)
- Knox County 2014 State Primary and County General Election Sample Ballot (2 replies)
- Early voting update (1 reply)
- State finally admits its for-profit virtual academy is a flop (8 replies)
- Knoxville News Sentinel website makeover (15 replies)
- Lloyd Daugherty's statement regarding Supreme Court Chief Justice Gary Wade (12 replies)