As a follow up to some comments in another discussion, we asked DeRoyal President and COO Bill Pittman to comment on rumors of layoffs related to the medical device excise tax implemented by the health care reform bill. Here's the response we received by way of DeRoyal's VP of HR:
"The medical device tax constitutes the largest cost increase DeRoyal has experienced in its 40-year history. We are working to mitigate this impact in a number of ways from both a revenue and cost perspective. Even in the face of this challenge we are doing everything within our power to preserve US jobs in this incredibly difficult economic environment."
Bill Pittman, President & COO
DeRoyal Industries, based in Powell, is a manufacturer and worldwide distributor of health care equipment and products. DeRoyal has over 2000 employees in 26 states and five countries, with approx. 300 employees locally.
- DTV hosts Dr. Bob Kronick on the subject of community schools tonight. (4 replies)
- A word before you rush out to buy those plants.... (7 replies)
- L.A. wants their school iPad money back (6 replies)
- Vertical farm can make 44,000 pounds of tomatoes on the side of a parking lot (7 replies)
- Cumberland Ave. Redesign Detour/Closure (147 replies)
- Last ditch appeal to resurrect Insure Tennessee Medicaid expansion (5 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (27 replies)
- Allergies are kicking my butt this spring (11 replies)
- Need Your Opinion -- Why live in Knoxville and Where? (85 replies)
- What gives "conservatives" a bad name (15 replies)
- Downtown street musicians (6 replies)
- Santa Gov wants to give FedEx an early Christmas present (10 replies)