As a follow up to some comments in another discussion, we asked DeRoyal President and COO Bill Pittman to comment on rumors of layoffs related to the medical device excise tax implemented by the health care reform bill. Here's the response we received by way of DeRoyal's VP of HR:
"The medical device tax constitutes the largest cost increase DeRoyal has experienced in its 40-year history. We are working to mitigate this impact in a number of ways from both a revenue and cost perspective. Even in the face of this challenge we are doing everything within our power to preserve US jobs in this incredibly difficult economic environment."
Bill Pittman, President & COO
DeRoyal Industries, based in Powell, is a manufacturer and worldwide distributor of health care equipment and products. DeRoyal has over 2000 employees in 26 states and five countries, with approx. 300 employees locally.
- Toxic chemicals from train incident suspected in Culton Creek fish kill (11 replies)
- school board meeting underway (100 replies)
- Concert performances you have experienced (and can remember) (54 replies)
- Cumberland Ave. project: There's an app for that (37 replies)
- Supreme Court rules against EPA on regulating mercury emissions (33 replies)
- Funny letter to the editor (10 replies)
- Sheriff's office stonewalling jail beating victim's lawyers? (9 replies)
- Celebrating with a Strawberry Cobbler (2 replies)
- Downtown teen curfew in Knoxville? (2 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (48 replies)
- Rail incident, evacuations ongoing in Blount Co. (13 replies)
- Haslam snubs Obama, again (11 replies)