A Marist poll released in time for the July 4th Celebration reveals an interesting theme...folks in the US do not know their country's history and it gets worse the younger you are.
Only 58% of residents know that the United States declared its independence in 1776. 26% are unsure, and 16% mentioned another date.
There are age differences on this question. Younger Americans are the least likely to know the correct answer. Only 31% of adults younger than 30 say that 1776 is the year in which the United States broke away from Great Britain. 59% of residents between 30 and 44 report the same. Americans 45 to 59 — 75% — are the age group most likely to have the correct answer. Among those 60 and older, 60% report that 1776 is the year in which the United States declared its independence.
While age was definitely a factor, what was even more depressing for me, was that the south, as a region, was dumber than the rest of the country (trailed closely by the mid-west). Seriously, of folks living in southern states that were polled, 23% were UNSURE of which country the US declared it's Independence from, and an whopping 7% noted a country other than Britain. The charts are here.
- State officials promote 'low-cost labor force' to lure foreign industries to Tennessee (2 replies)
- State seeks input on proposed law to charge for public records inspection (1 reply)
- The beast has more than one belly: (21 replies)
- Rowan Co. KY county clerk in the national spotlight for defying U.S. Supreme Court (12 replies)
- Cades Cove this morning (5 replies)
- City of Alcoa looking for better growth management (1 reply)
- Big Brother is (was?) listening at the courthouse (7 replies)
- Angry Ohio GOP Demands Cuyahoga NP Be Renamed for Palin (3 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (58 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (8 replies)
- Into the Belly of the Beast (3 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (6 replies)
- Sep 4 2015 - 6:00pm (1 day 6 hours from now)
- Sep 4 2015 - 7:00pm (1 day 7 hours from now)
- Sep 11 2015 - 6:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)