A Marist poll released in time for the July 4th Celebration reveals an interesting theme...folks in the US do not know their country's history and it gets worse the younger you are.
Only 58% of residents know that the United States declared its independence in 1776. 26% are unsure, and 16% mentioned another date.
There are age differences on this question. Younger Americans are the least likely to know the correct answer. Only 31% of adults younger than 30 say that 1776 is the year in which the United States broke away from Great Britain. 59% of residents between 30 and 44 report the same. Americans 45 to 59 — 75% — are the age group most likely to have the correct answer. Among those 60 and older, 60% report that 1776 is the year in which the United States declared its independence.
While age was definitely a factor, what was even more depressing for me, was that the south, as a region, was dumber than the rest of the country (trailed closely by the mid-west). Seriously, of folks living in southern states that were polled, 23% were UNSURE of which country the US declared it's Independence from, and an whopping 7% noted a country other than Britain. The charts are here.
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (61 replies)
- UT vs UF - it's on (12 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday selling Maryville headquarters (4 replies)
- Clinton supporter fear? (16 replies)
- Glenn Reynolds' twitter account suspended (19 replies)
- Clinton, Trump 2016 Presidential Debate - 9/26/2016, 9 PM (6 replies)
- Frank Cagle confused about houseboats (10 replies)
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (14 replies)
- I called the Wells Fargo ethics line and was fired (2 replies)
- BURCHETT LOADING MPC WITH DEVELOPERS (2 replies)
- Technology breakthrough! (1 reply)
- Broadway near Henley closure planned for 2 1/2 years (4 replies)
- Sep 28 2016 - 12:00pm (3 days 5 hours from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 5:00pm (4 days 10 hours from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 6:00pm (4 days 11 hours from now)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 4 days from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (2 weeks 2 days from now)