It happened at the March, 1956 meeting of the Knoxville city council. Councilman Caswell Orton Walker (left in picture) got into a fistfight with Knoxville councilman J.S. Cooper. This picture appeared page 38 of the March 19, 1956 issue of the Life magazine.
Life magazine says that Cooper threw the first punch. He took a poke at Walker with his left. Cas Walker was fixin' to counter with a right cross but onlookers broke up the frakas before anybody could land a solid blow.
The magazine says the fight was over tax rates and property assessments (i.e. taxes). It's not known for certain but since Walker was known for being a fierce fiscal conservative it's reasonable to assume that he was fighting against a tax increase.
This event fifty years ago is a stark contrast to politics today when elected officials seem to never argue over a tax increase. They're too busy trying to figure out ways to slip over tax increases on innocent citizens so they can funnel cash their cronies and crooked buddies (ref. Mike Ragadale's shady wheel tax increase in 2004)
WBIR on Cas
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (183 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (205 replies)
- Metro Pulse and Cas Walker (3 replies)
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (19 replies)
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (11 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (38 replies)
- BREAKING: Halls Shopper joins the 21st Century, fans rejoice! (12 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (68 replies)
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (2 hours 58 min ago)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (4 hours 31 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 4 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)