A sampling of some of the peoples' business scheduled for today in Nashville...
Senate Finance Ways & Means Committee, 5/10 8:30AM:
• SJR0221: Constitutional amendment banning income tax.
• SJR0118: Requests Congress to propose an amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting unfunded federal mandates and programs except during declared fiscal emergency.
• SJR0119: Requests Congress to propose an amendment to the United States Constitution that would authorize states to rescind certain federal laws.
• SB0326: Opts out of Medicare and Medicaid and establishes state program funded by federal funds formerly spent on Medicare and Medicaid.
• SB0932 Weakens wage and hour and workers' compensation laws, makes it easier for employers to deny future medical claims for workers' compensation settlements, establishes presumption of natural/aging cause for workplace injury unless proven otherwise by injured worker, with additional special requirements for proving work related hearing loss and carpal tunnel syndrome.
• SB 1772: Legalizes moonshining in Cocke Co.
• SB 1915: Increases campaign contribution limits, allows corporations to contribute to candidates; allows members of the general assembly and the governor to fundraise as candidates for other elective offices during session.
Senate Judiciary Committee, 5/10/2011 2PM
• SB1299: Reduces requirements for publication of foreclosure notices in newspapers.
• SB0940: Makes it more difficult for whistleblowers and victims of discrimination to prove their cases against employers.
House Finance Ways and Means Committee, 5/10/2011 1PM
• *HB1875: Allows state officials to charge a fee for viewing or producing public records.
House Education Committee, 5/10/2011 4PM:
• HB 0130: Abolishes teachers' unions ability to negotiate terms and conditions of professional service with local boards of education. NOTE: has already passed Senate, this is a special committee hearing in House.
- Interesting approaches to touring a city (3 replies)
- Blue Cross to raise rates by 62% for individual policies (41 replies)
- ITT Tech stops all student enrollment (3 replies)
- Walmart's Out-of-Control Crime Problem is Driving Police Crazy (10 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (59 replies)
- How to Transform a Waterfront (1 reply)
- Who will be Tennessee's next governor? (17 replies)
- 170 schools to take part in Tenn.’s first ‘Student Mock Election’ (2 replies)
- Women's Suffrage Monument Unveiled in Nashville (5 replies)
- 2016 election could be decided by 20 counties (1 reply)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (369 replies)
- "It's a sad day for our city" - Maryville, Alcoa, Blount County (4 replies)
- Sep 8 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 20 hours from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (5 weeks 5 days from now)