A sampling of some of the peoples' business scheduled for today in Nashville...
Senate Finance Ways & Means Committee, 5/10 8:30AM:
• SJR0221: Constitutional amendment banning income tax.
• SJR0118: Requests Congress to propose an amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting unfunded federal mandates and programs except during declared fiscal emergency.
• SJR0119: Requests Congress to propose an amendment to the United States Constitution that would authorize states to rescind certain federal laws.
• SB0326: Opts out of Medicare and Medicaid and establishes state program funded by federal funds formerly spent on Medicare and Medicaid.
• SB0932 Weakens wage and hour and workers' compensation laws, makes it easier for employers to deny future medical claims for workers' compensation settlements, establishes presumption of natural/aging cause for workplace injury unless proven otherwise by injured worker, with additional special requirements for proving work related hearing loss and carpal tunnel syndrome.
• SB 1772: Legalizes moonshining in Cocke Co.
• SB 1915: Increases campaign contribution limits, allows corporations to contribute to candidates; allows members of the general assembly and the governor to fundraise as candidates for other elective offices during session.
Senate Judiciary Committee, 5/10/2011 2PM
• SB1299: Reduces requirements for publication of foreclosure notices in newspapers.
• SB0940: Makes it more difficult for whistleblowers and victims of discrimination to prove their cases against employers.
House Finance Ways and Means Committee, 5/10/2011 1PM
• *HB1875: Allows state officials to charge a fee for viewing or producing public records.
House Education Committee, 5/10/2011 4PM:
• HB 0130: Abolishes teachers' unions ability to negotiate terms and conditions of professional service with local boards of education. NOTE: has already passed Senate, this is a special committee hearing in House.
- Grainger County 'maters (1 reply)
- Ijams rope course death (11 replies)
- HOV Lanes - ILEVs (4 replies)
- Haslam lays out plans for statewide road revenue tour (13 replies)
- Brewery, coffee roaster, others opening in South Knoxville (9 replies)
- Foster Arnett Parking Space + News Sentinel Removed Story (47 replies)
- Rep. Womick doubles down v. U.S. Supreme Court (13 replies)
- Foster Arnett: Hacked or unhinged? You decide (112 replies)
- McIntyre's week in review (5 replies)
- 50th anniversary of Medicare (1 reply)
- City Council at Large Race Seat C (9 replies)
- Arnett comes out of hiding (39 replies)