We have obtained an embargoed copy of a blockbuster story scheduled to appear in Sunday's Tennessean reporting that the Governor's office and high level TDOT officials have forged an agreement with the Maxmech Group, an Indian manufacturer of highway construction equipment, to take over all TDOT operations starting next year.
The company, which sells roadbuilding equipment worldwide, was looking to expand into project management and services. According to the founder and CEO, "We in the Maxmech Group are committed to opening new fields of business using pioneering technology and contributing to an improved natural environment and quality of life. This is a natural fit for us."
Internal memos obtained by the Tennessean show that Gov. Haslam proposed the idea as a way to leverage TDOT's $1.7 billion operating budget including $700 million in gas tax revenues, by partnering with private businesses who can "provide professional management to eliminate overhead, streamline operations and maximize the full potential of taxpayer investments in transportation." The move will "get us out of the roadbuilding business" and turn it over to an "internationally recognized company with a proven track record."
TDOT considered a similar plan in 2008 but rejected the idea. Speculation is that the proposal will be well received in the new Republican controlled legislature.
Another component of the deal involves discussions with Abertis, a Barcelona company that specializes in operating toll roads worldwide. The company, which is partly owned by CVC Capital of Luxembourg which also owns Pilot Travel Centers, would be contracted to operate toll collections on designated state highways and interstates. Part of that deal would also involve commercializing interstate rest areas and welcome centers and contracting Pilot Travel Centers to operate them. Gov. Haslam says this will create new sources of state revenues and save taxpayer dollars.
Check Sunday's Tennessean for more details...
- The Great Backyard Bird Count is underway (4 replies)
- Concerns linger over future of AMSE after land transfer (1 reply)
- Swedes confused/angered by Trump remark (2 replies)
- LWV local news media forum (5 replies)
- McCain Defends a Free Press: ‘That’s How Dictators Get Started’ (2 replies)
- Nearly one-third of TN high schoolers graduated without all course requirements in 2015 (4 replies)
- U.S. House sanctions hunting hibernating bears, wolf pups in their dens (2 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (101 replies)
- What's Going On? An update about road and greenway projects across Blount County (2 replies)
- NYT: The 'Caddyshack' President (6 replies)
- Trump's NatSec advisor Michael Flynn resigns (20 replies)
- NYT - Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence (7 replies)
- Feb 22 2017 - 12:00pm (2 days 8 hours from now)
- Feb 23 2017 - 6:00pm (3 days 14 hours from now)
- Feb 27 2017 - 7:00pm (1 week 15 hours from now)