Various licensing and distribution arms of Big Mama's, the karaoke giant located in Seymour, are suing a number of local bars and restaurants claiming the establishments are pirating Big Mama's karaoke CDs and using their trademarks without authorization.
Defendants named in a lawsuit filed in federal court last week include Jimmy's Southern Pub, Bull Feathers, Prince Grill and Sports Pub, Roger's Place, Paul's Oasis, and Cotton-Eyed Joe's in Knoxville, Cancun Mexican Restaurant, Naterz Sport's Grill, Par-T-Pub, Two Doors Down, Shooter's, and Gunnies in Blount Co., Pucker's and Crawdaddy's in Gatlinburg, and the Roaming Gnome Pub and Eatery in Sevierville. Several individual "KJ" (karaoke jockeys) are also named.
The lawsuit seeks damages of $150,000 per copyright violation and up to $2,000,000 for each trademark violation as per federal law, plus triple damages for profits from unfair competition, plus legal fees, plus seizure of defendants' computer hard drives containing any "illegal reproductions of copyrighted material or counterfeits of registered trademarks."
Big Mama's is not the first karaoke producer to go after bars and KJ's in the area. A North Carolina company sued three local establishments in Nov. 2009.
- Saw Works Brewing Co. may move to Standard Knitting Mill (5 replies)
- Women's March on Washington includes local events (2 replies)
- Jimmy Kimmel - on the street Obamacare vs ACA (3 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (77 replies)
- We are living... (3 replies)
- Repealing Obamacare affects everyone (12 replies)
- Will Trump last four years? (58 replies)
- A message (2 replies)
- Companies Are Recycling Their Old News to Avoid Being Blasted in a Trump Tweet (2 replies)
- Roger Kane Insists our Legislature is Incredibly Diverse (4 replies)
- Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) on secularists (8 replies)
- Traffic cameras and the Constitution (3 replies)
- Jan 19 2017 - 7:30pm (44 min 22 sec from now)
- Jan 20 2017 - 6:00pm (23 hours 14 min from now)
- Jan 25 2017 - 12:00pm (5 days 17 hours from now)
- Feb 3 2017 - 10:00am (2 weeks 15 hours from now)