Various licensing and distribution arms of Big Mama's, the karaoke giant located in Seymour, are suing a number of local bars and restaurants claiming the establishments are pirating Big Mama's karaoke CDs and using their trademarks without authorization.
Defendants named in a lawsuit filed in federal court last week include Jimmy's Southern Pub, Bull Feathers, Prince Grill and Sports Pub, Roger's Place, Paul's Oasis, and Cotton-Eyed Joe's in Knoxville, Cancun Mexican Restaurant, Naterz Sport's Grill, Par-T-Pub, Two Doors Down, Shooter's, and Gunnies in Blount Co., Pucker's and Crawdaddy's in Gatlinburg, and the Roaming Gnome Pub and Eatery in Sevierville. Several individual "KJ" (karaoke jockeys) are also named.
The lawsuit seeks damages of $150,000 per copyright violation and up to $2,000,000 for each trademark violation as per federal law, plus triple damages for profits from unfair competition, plus legal fees, plus seizure of defendants' computer hard drives containing any "illegal reproductions of copyrighted material or counterfeits of registered trademarks."
Big Mama's is not the first karaoke producer to go after bars and KJ's in the area. A North Carolina company sued three local establishments in Nov. 2009.
- Knoxville News Sentinel website makeover (11 replies)
- Sens. Bell and Kelsey ask AG to sue Obama (4 replies)
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (4 replies)
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (36 replies)
- Lloyd Daugherty's statement regarding Supreme Court Chief Justice Gary Wade (10 replies)
- No Credit? No Problem (26 replies)
- ISIS (36 replies)
- George Flinn for Senate? (5 replies)
- State finally admits its for-profit virtual academy is a flop (5 replies)
- Jonathan Turley - "Get ready for an even bigger threat to Obamacare" (13 replies)
- Knoxville firefighters endorse Cheri Siler for State Senate (3 replies)
- Tennessee, an inauspicious place to raise children (1 reply)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (4 hours 12 min from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (1 day 19 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (4 days 20 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (5 days 3 hours from now)