Various licensing and distribution arms of Big Mama's, the karaoke giant located in Seymour, are suing a number of local bars and restaurants claiming the establishments are pirating Big Mama's karaoke CDs and using their trademarks without authorization.
Defendants named in a lawsuit filed in federal court last week include Jimmy's Southern Pub, Bull Feathers, Prince Grill and Sports Pub, Roger's Place, Paul's Oasis, and Cotton-Eyed Joe's in Knoxville, Cancun Mexican Restaurant, Naterz Sport's Grill, Par-T-Pub, Two Doors Down, Shooter's, and Gunnies in Blount Co., Pucker's and Crawdaddy's in Gatlinburg, and the Roaming Gnome Pub and Eatery in Sevierville. Several individual "KJ" (karaoke jockeys) are also named.
The lawsuit seeks damages of $150,000 per copyright violation and up to $2,000,000 for each trademark violation as per federal law, plus triple damages for profits from unfair competition, plus legal fees, plus seizure of defendants' computer hard drives containing any "illegal reproductions of copyrighted material or counterfeits of registered trademarks."
Big Mama's is not the first karaoke producer to go after bars and KJ's in the area. A North Carolina company sued three local establishments in Nov. 2009.
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (8 replies)
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (13 replies)
- BREAKING: Halls Shopper joins the 21st Century, fans rejoice! (12 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (198 replies)
- Metro Pulse and Cas Walker (2 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (68 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (180 replies)
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (37 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (1 hour 57 min from now)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (9 hours 27 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 8 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)