Rick Morrow, executive director of United Way of Anderson County, quoted in the Jan 18, 2011 Oak Ridger:
"We don't have a homeless problem in Oak Ridge," he said. "We send it all to Knoxville." ("Addressing the City's Homeless Problem," by Beverly Majors)
Note that Morrow doesn't say them...he refers to "them" as "it."
How many times have we heard from representatives of the Ten Year Plan that other counties DO NOT send their homeless to Knoxville?
We knew that wasn't true, that surrounding areas do in fact transport their homeless to Knoxville. Hopefully, representatives of the TYP will stop denying reality.
Maybe the TYP should focus its work on stopping these counties from their unethical homeless dumping practices, or at least start billing them. This also undercuts Sheriff Jones' argument for the Safety Center. Clearly some of the homeless in Knoxville and Knox County have been sent here by neighboring counties.
And let's not forget when Sevier County got caught at it last year. Jones was even sending Knox County deputies to the county line to pick them up and transporting them to KARM.
There is an elephant in the middle of the room. In all the posturing over how many homeless there are in Knoxville, no one is looking at their origins.
Let me add that there's a big difference between a homeless person stopping in Knoxville at the Greyhound station, asking for a meal at KARM, and moving on, or camping here for awhile, and a neighboring community explicitly admitting that they send their "homeless problem" to Knoxville.
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (12 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (180 replies)
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (7 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (196 replies)
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (37 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Urban infrastructure gets a second life (1 reply)
- California readies pay-as-you-drive tax test, coming soon to a road near you (8 replies)
- A tribute to Roy of Roy's Records (1 reply)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (6 hours 43 min from now)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (14 hours 13 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 13 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)