The News Sentinel has a video report that tries to explain the tea party movement from a variety of viewpoints.
In it, Instapundit notes that the movement started in response to the stimulus bill. But what if there hadn't been a stimulus bill? According to a recent study by two leading economists, GDP would have fallen 7.4% instead of 2.4%, unemployment would be 16.5% instead of 9.6% and we would be in the middle of Depression 2.0 instead of coming out of a recession.
It's also interesting to see seniors who are no doubt receiving Social Security and Medicare benefits complain about federal spending. Deficits are a major concern, too, but so are taxes. Yet no one in the tea party can explain how to cut taxes and reduce deficits at the same time.
The report also observes that the tea party is "mobilizing" and "organizing" and "energizing" people who are getting involved in the political process for the first time. One woman said she was inspired when Glenn Beck told her to get off the couch. They're mad as hell about something, but they're not exactly clear on what.
Where were these people during the eight years of the Bush administration? The bottom line, though, is a fresh new crop of gullible, low-information voters in November.
Woe is us.
- Time running out for free Windows 10 upgrade (12 replies)
- Sanders addresses supporters in Philadelphia (2 replies)
- Debbie Wasserman Shultz removed from convention chair post (79 replies)
- Cumberland Avenue is a mess (8 replies)
- Musicians who don't like Trump and don't appreciate him using their music (5 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (49 replies)
- Clinton picks Kaine (12 replies)
- Bernie's Statement to His Supporters on His Endorsement of Hillary (13 replies)
- Analysts say Trump's economic plan would be a disaster (1 reply)
- Clinton responds to Trump convention speech (2 replies)
- WikiLeaks releases 20K DNC e-mails. (3 replies)
- Who will Clinton pick as VP? (38 replies)
- Jul 27 2016 - 12:00pm (1 day 19 hours from now)
- Jul 28 2016 - 3:00pm (2 days 22 hours from now)