This dispute is being framed as big bad TDOT bullying small business people up in Townsend.
A hotel operator complained to TDOT about the city arbitrarily enforcing state right of ways, noting there are plenty of other encroachments including a gas station and campground swimming pool that have been there for decades. TDOT responded by saying they would take steps "to have unpermitted encroachments removed from the state highway right of way."
If you read between the lines, it sounds more like TDOT is siding with the hotel operator and warning the city that if they can't play nice TDOT will step in and make everybody stand in the corner. (You also have to wonder what kind of bad blood led to this in the first place.)
I predict this will get resolved posthaste, any existing encroachments will get grandfathered in de facto, and the hotel operator will find the city suddenly interested in being more flexible.
- Trump to Sign Orders Advancing Keystone, Dakota Access Pipelines (4 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (85 replies)
- Abortions Hit New Low in U.S. (2 replies)
- Knoxville News Sentinel Sunday only/digital subscription price misleading (3 replies)
- Number of People Enrolled in ACA Marketplaces in 2016, by Congressional District (1 reply)
- City to begin enforcing parking meter time limits (26 replies)
- Obamacare Saved Thousands From Colon Cancer Death, Report Finds (1 reply)
- Obamacare under President Trump: What happens next? (3 replies)
- Women's March on Washington includes local events (8 replies)
- The shameful truth: Democrats share the blame for DeVos (2 replies)
- Knoxville Women's March (4 replies)
- So this is how it's gonna be (4 replies)
- Jan 25 2017 - 12:00pm (17 hours 48 sec from now)
- Jan 25 2017 - 5:00pm (22 hours 48 sec from now)
- Feb 3 2017 - 10:00am (1 week 2 days from now)