This dispute is being framed as big bad TDOT bullying small business people up in Townsend.
A hotel operator complained to TDOT about the city arbitrarily enforcing state right of ways, noting there are plenty of other encroachments including a gas station and campground swimming pool that have been there for decades. TDOT responded by saying they would take steps "to have unpermitted encroachments removed from the state highway right of way."
If you read between the lines, it sounds more like TDOT is siding with the hotel operator and warning the city that if they can't play nice TDOT will step in and make everybody stand in the corner. (You also have to wonder what kind of bad blood led to this in the first place.)
I predict this will get resolved posthaste, any existing encroachments will get grandfathered in de facto, and the hotel operator will find the city suddenly interested in being more flexible.
- Debbie Wasserman Shultz removed from convention chair post (69 replies)
- Cumberland Avenue is a mess (4 replies)
- Musicians who don't like Trump and don't appreciate him using their music (5 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (49 replies)
- Clinton picks Kaine (12 replies)
- Bernie's Statement to His Supporters on His Endorsement of Hillary (13 replies)
- Analysts say Trump's economic plan would be a disaster (1 reply)
- Clinton responds to Trump convention speech (2 replies)
- WikiLeaks releases 20K DNC e-mails. (3 replies)
- Who will Clinton pick as VP? (38 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (364 replies)
- Mark Harmon: Thanks, Obama. No, really, thanks (5 replies)
- Jul 27 2016 - 12:00pm (1 day 22 hours from now)
- Jul 28 2016 - 3:00pm (3 days 1 hour from now)