This dispute is being framed as big bad TDOT bullying small business people up in Townsend.
A hotel operator complained to TDOT about the city arbitrarily enforcing state right of ways, noting there are plenty of other encroachments including a gas station and campground swimming pool that have been there for decades. TDOT responded by saying they would take steps "to have unpermitted encroachments removed from the state highway right of way."
If you read between the lines, it sounds more like TDOT is siding with the hotel operator and warning the city that if they can't play nice TDOT will step in and make everybody stand in the corner. (You also have to wonder what kind of bad blood led to this in the first place.)
I predict this will get resolved posthaste, any existing encroachments will get grandfathered in de facto, and the hotel operator will find the city suddenly interested in being more flexible.
- Rowan Co. KY county clerk in the national spotlight for defying U.S. Supreme Court (12 replies)
- The beast has more than one belly: (20 replies)
- Cades Cove this morning (5 replies)
- City of Alcoa looking for better growth management (1 reply)
- Big Brother is (was?) listening at the courthouse (7 replies)
- Angry Ohio GOP Demands Cuyahoga NP Be Renamed for Palin (3 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (58 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (8 replies)
- Into the Belly of the Beast (3 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (6 replies)
- so this is it ... (7 replies)
- Status of State Action on the Medicaid Expansion Decision (2 replies)
- Sep 4 2015 - 6:00pm (1 day 22 hours from now)
- Sep 4 2015 - 7:00pm (1 day 23 hours from now)
- Sep 11 2015 - 6:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)