This dispute is being framed as big bad TDOT bullying small business people up in Townsend.
A hotel operator complained to TDOT about the city arbitrarily enforcing state right of ways, noting there are plenty of other encroachments including a gas station and campground swimming pool that have been there for decades. TDOT responded by saying they would take steps "to have unpermitted encroachments removed from the state highway right of way."
If you read between the lines, it sounds more like TDOT is siding with the hotel operator and warning the city that if they can't play nice TDOT will step in and make everybody stand in the corner. (You also have to wonder what kind of bad blood led to this in the first place.)
I predict this will get resolved posthaste, any existing encroachments will get grandfathered in de facto, and the hotel operator will find the city suddenly interested in being more flexible.
- Open letter to spammers (10 replies)
- TN House 18: Martin Daniel responds to Rep. Steve Hall attack (3 replies)
- ORNL was fixin' to learn y'all how to talk better (17 replies)
- Haslam kicks off campaign at Knoxville News Sentinel headquarters (6 replies)
- Adams and Ball spar at Bolivar candidate forum (13 replies)
- Truthful comparison of Democratic contributions is not Negative (11 replies)
- Emerald Academy principal named (8 replies)
- Ball fails to file timely campaign finance disclosure (7 replies)
- Heartless Haslam's ridiculous letter to Obama embarrasses Tennessee (1 reply)
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (27 replies)
- Auto parts manufacturer adding 1,000 jobs in Clinton (8 replies)
- Gloria Johnson hosting JOBS4TN HD13 Job Fair (1 reply)