This dispute is being framed as big bad TDOT bullying small business people up in Townsend.
A hotel operator complained to TDOT about the city arbitrarily enforcing state right of ways, noting there are plenty of other encroachments including a gas station and campground swimming pool that have been there for decades. TDOT responded by saying they would take steps "to have unpermitted encroachments removed from the state highway right of way."
If you read between the lines, it sounds more like TDOT is siding with the hotel operator and warning the city that if they can't play nice TDOT will step in and make everybody stand in the corner. (You also have to wonder what kind of bad blood led to this in the first place.)
I predict this will get resolved posthaste, any existing encroachments will get grandfathered in de facto, and the hotel operator will find the city suddenly interested in being more flexible.
- No Credit? No Problem (23 replies)
- George Flinn for Senate? (4 replies)
- State finally admits its for-profit virtual academy is a flop (5 replies)
- Knoxville News Sentinel website makeover (10 replies)
- Jonathan Turley - "Get ready for an even bigger threat to Obamacare" (13 replies)
- Knoxville firefighters endorse Cheri Siler for State Senate (3 replies)
- Tennessee, an inauspicious place to raise children (1 reply)
- State of Tennessee facing Medicaid enrollment lawsuit (4 replies)
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (1 reply)
- Congress comes together to help the disabled save, tax-free (1 reply)
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (25 replies)
- Jason Emert, Sleazy campaigner (10 replies)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (18 hours 32 sec from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (2 days 9 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (5 days 10 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (5 days 17 hours from now)