Well, I hate to say I told you so but it appears the Democratic Party is dead in Tennessee for at least a generation.
Knox County Commission lost a Democrat, leaving only two elected Democrats in Knox County government. Their power is somewhat amplified with a smaller commission, but you only have to count to six now and Republicans have nine.
Every Single Democrat was wiped out from the Blount County Commission, leaving not a single elected Democrat in Blount County government.
Republican County Mayors in both counties destroyed their competition. (By the way, here's the new face of Blount County. They're yukking it up and the joke's on you, my Democratic friends.)
The news from our friend out west isn't much better.
A perfect storm of huge Republican turnout for the goobernutorial primary and an uncontested and also uninspiring Democratic primary plus some anti-Obama/Pelosi sentiment whipped up by foaming-at-the-mouth teabaggers (Stacey Campfield? seriously?) thrown in for good measure equaled disaster for Democrats.
Hell, even the few Democrats who showed up were voting for Republicans. If this is a preview of November, we're toast.
On the bright side, Republicans did some housecleaning, getting rid of State Reps. Eric Swafford (R-25) and Chad Faulkner (R-36). And Robin Smith won't be further embarrassing our state in Washington.
And Haslam's somewhat weak 47% showing statewide (it's a mandate!) could mean less enthusiastic Republican turnout in the general, but I doubt it. And about half of that was probably crossover Democrats who have three months to wise up. But if that's all we've got to hang our hats on we're done.
So, yeah, all you state Democrats get out there and git to thumpin' them Bibles and shootin' it up at the gun range some more*. 'Cause that's really working out great, ain't it?
And no, I'm not bitter in the least.
UPDATE: More tears in beers...
- Investigative Report on Rick Staples Part II (3 replies)
- Investigative Report on Rick Staples Part I (1 reply)
- Knoxville could test self-driving cars (1 reply)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (70 replies)
- Water enforcement dropped in business-friendly Haslam administration (5 replies)
- Hate is learned at home... (1 reply)
- Clinton campaign faltering (7 replies)
- Ammo plant deal falling apart? (8 replies)
- WBIR Inside Tennessee - Democratic candidate Gloria Johnson (3 replies)
- Bald Eagle on French Broad (5 replies)
- South High redux as Assisted Living Center (1 reply)
- Bill seeking to stop scalpers from grabbing online tickets has cleared the House (2 replies)