District 48 Rep. Joe Carr, a Republican representing part of Rutherford County, has on his campaign website an "endorsement" by "Tom Humphrey, veteran legislature reporter, Knoxville News Sentinel." You can see it here. It's also on a sidebar that appears on every page of his website.
I'd be shocked to learn that Tom Humphrey actually endorsed this guy or any other candidate. I have always found Tom "The Dean" Humphrey to have the highest ethical and journalistic standards when reporting on the state legislature, even in his opinion and analysis columns. Not only that, an "endorsement" would probably get him fired.
Makes you wonder what kind of fellow this Joe Carr character is. Is he prone to making stuff up to advance his own self interests?
Carr is being challenged by Democratic newcomer David B. LaRoche, a Murfreesboro lawyer. Democrats should get behind LaRoche and help him however we can. This could be a key race.
UPDATE: Michael Silence: Tom Humphrey has not endorsed Carr or anyone else. Further, I've worked with "ol' Tom" for nearly 25 years and I've never known him to endorse anyone. To suggest otherwise is at best unethical.
UPDATE: Post Politics: Hardly an endorsement of Carr’s re-election. Praise, yes. But The Dean, being The Dean, wouldn’t endorse his mother for county dogcatcher. He’s above that.
UPDATE: Tom Humphrey responds: I don’t do endorsements and have a call in to Rep. Carr to request that he revise his claim. He has apparently extrapolated the 'endorsement' from a column written after the 2009 session on 'legislative superlatives.' Here’s the link to the article. It is commentary perhaps, but not an endorsement.
UPDATE: Tom Humphrey: For the Record: I Do Not Endorse Joe Carr "That's not at all an endorsement," said Carr when contacted. "I understand that and it's my fault. I didn't even think about that when we put it under endorsements. I apologize." He said the website would be changed promptly.
UPDATE: The "endorsements" page has been resurrected as "The Buzz about Joe."
- Obama wants community college to be free (68 replies)
- KNS Friday liberal column changeup (5 replies)
- Josh Flory leaving KNS (9 replies)
- Bonnaroo lineup announced (27 replies)
- Rape trial for former Vandy football players (20 replies)
- Build A Better Mousetrap (or just do the job better) (2 replies)
- Knoxville City Sign Ordinance (11 replies)
- Geek stuff: HTPC experiment (17 replies)
- It's getting close to tax time (4 replies)
- 2015 State of The Union Watch Party TONITE! (22 replies)
- Seattle has first LED lit baseball field (1 reply)
- Tennessee's wealthiest people (28 replies)
- Jan 27 2015 - 5:30pm (1 day 18 hours from now)
- Jan 27 2015 - 6:00pm (1 day 18 hours from now)
- Jan 27 2015 - 6:15pm (1 day 18 hours from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (1 week 5 days from now)