Jon Lawler, director of the Ten Year Plan to End Chronic Homelessness, announced today that the zoning variance request for reduced parking at the Flenniken School project will be withdrawn. "If we can make adjustments based on what we hear, we will. That’s an important part of the process," said Lawler.
The press release...
The Office of the Ten-Year Plan to End Chronic Homelessness announced today that Southeastern Housing Foundation, a non-profit affordable housing development organization, is withdrawing a request for a zoning variance for the old Flenniken School project following a public meeting with area residents. The public meeting was held June 21 at the South Knoxville Recreation Center. Residents clearly felt that there were parking issues with other developments in the area.
"We wanted to build fewer parking places because we believe they won’t be used and that the money to build them could be better spent. We also were concerned about unnecessary concrete which could be green space. However, the number of spaces is a clearly an issue with the people who live nearby," said David Arning of Southeastern Housing Foundation. "District Councilman Nick Pavlis also expressed his concerns. Therefore we are withdrawing the request for variance and will build all 58 parking places required by Codes."
“We are committed to communicating more with the entire community and to listening to what they say," said Jon Lawler, Director of the Ten-Year Plan. "If we can make adjustments based on what we hear, we will. That’s an important part of the process."
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (179 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (195 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (6 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (37 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Urban infrastructure gets a second life (1 reply)
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (11 replies)
- California readies pay-as-you-drive tax test, coming soon to a road near you (8 replies)
- A tribute to Roy of Roy's Records (1 reply)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (10 hours 26 min from now)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (17 hours 56 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 17 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)