Jon Lawler, director of the Ten Year Plan to End Chronic Homelessness, announced today that the zoning variance request for reduced parking at the Flenniken School project will be withdrawn. "If we can make adjustments based on what we hear, we will. That’s an important part of the process," said Lawler.
The press release...
The Office of the Ten-Year Plan to End Chronic Homelessness announced today that Southeastern Housing Foundation, a non-profit affordable housing development organization, is withdrawing a request for a zoning variance for the old Flenniken School project following a public meeting with area residents. The public meeting was held June 21 at the South Knoxville Recreation Center. Residents clearly felt that there were parking issues with other developments in the area.
"We wanted to build fewer parking places because we believe they won’t be used and that the money to build them could be better spent. We also were concerned about unnecessary concrete which could be green space. However, the number of spaces is a clearly an issue with the people who live nearby," said David Arning of Southeastern Housing Foundation. "District Councilman Nick Pavlis also expressed his concerns. Therefore we are withdrawing the request for variance and will build all 58 parking places required by Codes."
“We are committed to communicating more with the entire community and to listening to what they say," said Jon Lawler, Director of the Ten-Year Plan. "If we can make adjustments based on what we hear, we will. That’s an important part of the process."
- Metro Pulse BOE Endorsements (24 replies)
- TDOT commissioner: Tennessee facing new taxing method or deteriorating roads (15 replies)
- National Park Week: "For the benefit and enjoyment of the people" (5 replies)
- Tips for local live musicians (19 replies)
- Everything you wanted to know about Compact Fluorescent Bulbs, including the mercury problem (50 replies)
- Thanks, Jim (3 replies)
- Women’s Representation in Tennessee (1 reply)
- First woman to fly around the world solo forgotten. (3 replies)
- One last questionnaire for school board candidates (which I didn't answer) (5 replies)
- KUB having trouble with broken water mains (7 replies)
- Oh National Democrats wherefore art thou? (10 replies)
- Remembering Black Wednesday (17 replies)