WATE reports on the Gatlinburg tea party that featured some classic wingnuttery stylings from candidates for governor and others. Here's a good one:
"You can't look at government as an employment agency," said Knoxville Mayor Bill Haslam, another Republican candidate for governor. "People think, gosh, we need government to make jobs. Wrong!"
Really? Here are the top ten employers in the Knoxville metro area:
• U.S. Department of Energy - 12610
• The University of Tennessee, Knoxville -9317
• Knox County Public School System -8104
• Covenant Health - 8000
• Mercy Health Partners -8141
• University of Tennessee Medical Center - 3225
• City of Knoxville - 2820
• County of Knox - 2500
• Clayton Homes - 2500
• State of Tennessee - 2401
So seven out of the top ten Knoxville area employers, including the top three, are... GOVERNMENT RUN! And nearly 70% of the jobs at the top ten employers are... GOVERNMENT JOBS!
Why do so many people who hate government want to be a part of it by going in to politics?
P.S. And get this. One of the largest "employment agencies" in the State of Tennessee is... THE STATE OF TENNESSEE! Yes, the state that Mayor "You can't look at government as an employment agency" Haslam wants to be governor of operates a huge online job listing service and 73 employment agency offices across the state.
- Grainger County 'maters (5 replies)
- Buzz Aldrin's Apollo 11 travel voucher (1 reply)
- Ijams rope course death (14 replies)
- Foster Arnett Parking Space + News Sentinel Removed Story (48 replies)
- Windows 10 doesn't suck (8 replies)
- HOV Lanes - ILEVs (4 replies)
- Haslam lays out plans for statewide road revenue tour (13 replies)
- Brewery, coffee roaster, others opening in South Knoxville (9 replies)
- Rep. Womick doubles down v. U.S. Supreme Court (13 replies)
- Foster Arnett: Hacked or unhinged? You decide (112 replies)
- McIntyre's week in review (5 replies)
- 50th anniversary of Medicare (1 reply)