WATE reports on the Gatlinburg tea party that featured some classic wingnuttery stylings from candidates for governor and others. Here's a good one:
"You can't look at government as an employment agency," said Knoxville Mayor Bill Haslam, another Republican candidate for governor. "People think, gosh, we need government to make jobs. Wrong!"
Really? Here are the top ten employers in the Knoxville metro area:
• U.S. Department of Energy - 12610
• The University of Tennessee, Knoxville -9317
• Knox County Public School System -8104
• Covenant Health - 8000
• Mercy Health Partners -8141
• University of Tennessee Medical Center - 3225
• City of Knoxville - 2820
• County of Knox - 2500
• Clayton Homes - 2500
• State of Tennessee - 2401
So seven out of the top ten Knoxville area employers, including the top three, are... GOVERNMENT RUN! And nearly 70% of the jobs at the top ten employers are... GOVERNMENT JOBS!
Why do so many people who hate government want to be a part of it by going in to politics?
P.S. And get this. One of the largest "employment agencies" in the State of Tennessee is... THE STATE OF TENNESSEE! Yes, the state that Mayor "You can't look at government as an employment agency" Haslam wants to be governor of operates a huge online job listing service and 73 employment agency offices across the state.
- Vote no on Amendment 1, skip vote for governor (or maybe not?) (74 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (86 replies)
- RIP Retired KSO Violinist and WUOT Program Director Norris Dyer (4 replies)
- Gene Patterson leaving WATE (11 replies)
- The Closing Days of 2014 Election (2 replies)
- Biting the hand for good cause (1 reply)
- PAC Money spent to fight Gloria Johnson (2 replies)
- Throwback Thursday: October, 2009 (4 replies)
- Knoxville.com reviews Sassy Ann's (12 replies)
- ISIS (144 replies)
- The Best #Democracy Money Can Buy? (16 replies)
- Ballot order (17 replies)