UPDATE: The photo in question appears to have been removed.
A.C. Kleinheider or someone at Nashville's WKRN-TV News2 has improperly made a copy of a copyrighted photo from this website and hosted it on WKRN's servers from where it is republished without permission in violation of U.S. copyright law under USC 17.
Unfortunately the photo copyright isn't registered, so the owner isn't eligible for statutory damages of $150,000 per infringement. The owner is, however, due actual and compensatory damages. I hereby demand one double Glenlivet on the rocks as compensatory damages. (And this shall not be construed as establishing the value of any other copyrighted works by the author. Heh.)
But seriously, let's all be respectful of one another's intellectual property. I wouldn't copy a WKRN-TV News2 report or video without permission. Bloggers should expect the same courtesy from WKRN-TV News2.
I don't generally agree with A.C. Kleinheider very much, but he does run a good and entertaining and sometimes informative blog. This is not one of those times. I'm a little puzzled by the nature and/or the point of his post and the photo he selected from among the many photos available to him from this site. If he had just asked, I would have said fine, as I usually do when people go to the trouble to, you know, ask.
His response is, "I consider what I did to be proper Internet etiquette. If you believe you have a legitimate legal grievance you are more than welcome to contact the station."
Typical big-media v. little guy response. We've got deep pockets and lawyers. You don't. Bring it on. When it's all over, we'll still be here. You won't.
(Footnote: I also find his response interesting in light of the fact that his 'about' page says A.C. Kleinheider is responsible for everything on his blog and WKRN has nothing to do with it. Yet when a question of propriety comes up, he refers you to the station. So which is it? A.C. Kleinheider or WKRN?)
- Blue Hair for Bernie (1 reply)
- Arnett comes out of hiding (23 replies)
- Marines to volunteer armed guards: Thanks but no thanks (6 replies)
- Foster Arnett Parking Space + News Sentinel Removed Story (44 replies)
- City Council at Large Race Seat C (8 replies)
- Trump: John McCain is no war hero, plus he's a loser (20 replies)
- Eastbound Cumberland Ave. to close for six weeks (1 reply)
- Learn About Solar Energy This Saturday! (2 replies)
- Support the Sign Ordinance Revision (9 replies)
- “Painting with a Twist” opens in Downtown Knoxville (1 reply)
- Meeting on Old South High (10 replies)
- Foster Arnett: Hacked or unhinged? You decide (68 replies)
- Jul 29 2015 - 12:00pm (1 day 7 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2015 - 6:00pm (1 day 13 hours from now)
- Aug 7 2015 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)
- Sep 11 2015 - 6:30pm (6 weeks 3 days from now)