A.C. Kleinheider looks at Knoxville Mayor and GOP gubernatorial candidate Bill Haslam's "that was then, this is now" relationship with Mayors Against Illegal Guns:
Haslam, like Bob Corker and Lamar Alexander, can be independent and high-mindedly moderate all he wants but there are litmus tests and Haslam’s blue paper better come up red after it gets dropped into that conservative acid or there’s gonna be problems.
In defense of what some might perceive as pandering to the NRA crowd, Mayor Haslam says the Mayors Against Illegal Guns group, which claims more than 300 mayors from across America as members, went off in a different direction after he joined.
Looking over their website, I don't see much if any policy shift. And while some of their proposals may not sit well with gun enthusiasts, who generally oppose any and all gun regulation, the group certainly isn't proposing anything as remotely radical as banning guns.
It would seem that Mayor Haslam may have overreacted to pressure from some fringe elements, putting himself between the rock of individual freedoms and the hard place of the common good with regard to the growing problem of gun violence.
And he's never explained specifically which Mayors Against Illegal Guns policies he disagrees with, other than Mayor Bloomberg being involved.
UPDATE: Mayor Haslam is reported to have recently joined the NRA. A copy of a letter at that link also suggests that Mayor Haslam only recently resigned from Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
- What's at stake with Amendment One (13 replies)
- 'No' votes on Amendment 1 changed to 'Yes' (3 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (304 replies)
- Literary artists in the house! Homes given to writers for free in Detroit (3 replies)
- A Great Response to a False and Deceptive Ad (16 replies)
- Here's a fun way to explain our State Senate Race (7 replies)
- Town Hall Forum (1 reply)
- International Baccalaureate (8 replies)
- ISIS+ (10 replies)
- We're calling a personal foul on Gloria Johnson's opponent (18 replies)
- Burlington is back (10 replies)
- Blackwater guards found guilty in Iraq shootings (8 replies)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (3 days 11 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 11 hours from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (5 days 12 hours from now)