The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation forwarded their initial report regarding the TVA Ocoee #3 sludge release into the Ocoee River.
The sludge release appears to have occurred Sunday afternoon (Jan. 4 2009) around 2:30 PM. The U.S. Forest Service at Cherokee National Forest and the Ocoee White Water Center alerted TDEC on Monday.
According to TDEC, a foul-smelling, black sludge/sediment/ooze was deposited in the Olympic section of the river, up to 3.5 feet deep in some places.
The sludge release caused a fish kill, but the dead fish are buried in the sludge so a count was not possible. No live fish were observed in that section of the river.
A 2008 Forest Service survey of the fish population showed fish were thriving in the Olympic section, which TDEC says is "remarkable" because there had not been any fish in that portion of the river "for over 100 years." TDEC credits water quality restoration efforts by Occidental Petroleum and Glenn Springs Holding in the historic mining district, efforts which appear to have been wiped out at least temporarily by the sludge release.
TVA told TDEC that they opened the bottom sluice gate of Ocoee #3 to draw it down in preparation for repairs on the leaking Ocoee #2 dam.
TDEC says there were no permit requests or coordination with TDEC regarding special operations of the Ocoee dams and powerhouses, nor had there been any coordination with Tennessee State Parks or the U.S. Forest Service.
- What's wrong with this picture? (2 replies)
- U.N. Weather Agency: It's Record Hot Out There This Year (5 replies)
- Mayor Rogero lowers the boom on former mayor and Shopper columnist Victor Ashe (67 replies)
- Republican State Rep: new traffic law needed to help him get home (16 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (344 replies)
- Gunman attacks Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood clinic (17 replies)
- Local attorney K.O. Herston picked by American Bar Assoc. for Top 100 Law Blogs (1 reply)
- Who Turned My Blue State Red? (12 replies)
- Six Knox Co. high schools "failing" according to state tests (39 replies)
- We are TARGEEEEET!!! (1 reply)
- Right-wing contortions (3 replies)
- Happy Thanksgiving! (2 replies)
- Dec 1 2015 - 5:30pm (7 hours 49 min from now)
- Dec 10 2015 - 5:30pm (1 week 2 days from now)