Photo courtesy of United Mountain Defense blog
The local media is finally getting to some truth, one week later.
Today's front page KNS report says the EPA has found "very high" levels of arsenic in water samples, along with other heavy metals, one week after TVA said the water samples were fine*.
It says residents should avoid contact with the fly ash sludge materials and gives instructions on what to do if they get contaminated, one week after TVA said the fly ash contained no hazardous materials.
It says area residents who get water from springs or wells should not use the water, one week after other officials told them to just boil their water.
(*TVA still says on their website as of this moment that testing of stream water is within acceptable limits, and they do not mention well or spring water testing.)
Here's the latest EPA incident update.
Here's the latest TVA emergency update.
Visit RoaneViews for the latest citizen reports from around the area.
A Swan Pond resident has started a livejournal blog, and has a good report on last night's meeting.
Some water samples near a massive spill of coal ash are showing high levels of arsenic, and state and federal officials today cautioned residents who use private wells or springs to stop drinking the water.
The article says the independent TVA Inspector General's office is launching an investigation. It also says Bredesen has been briefed and the state will "continue to do what's necessary." Weak.
- Vertical farm can make 44,000 pounds of tomatoes on the side of a parking lot (6 replies)
- A word before you rush out to buy those plants.... (2 replies)
- Last ditch appeal to resurrect Insure Tennessee Medicaid expansion (5 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (27 replies)
- DTV hosts Dr. Bob Kronick on the subject of community schools tonight. (2 replies)
- Cumberland Ave. Redesign Detour/Closure (146 replies)
- L.A. wants their school iPad money back (4 replies)
- Allergies are kicking my butt this spring (11 replies)
- Need Your Opinion -- Why live in Knoxville and Where? (85 replies)
- What gives "conservatives" a bad name (15 replies)
- Downtown street musicians (6 replies)
- Santa Gov wants to give FedEx an early Christmas present (10 replies)