As reported by the TN Dept. of Labor & Workforce Development, January 2017 County Unemployment Rates Rise Across the State. This is a continuation from December, 2016, when unemployment also rose in all counties.
Of the top 10 counties with the highest unemployement rates, 5 are in East Tennessee, Rhea (10.2%), Cocke (10.0%), Sevier (9.6%), Scott (9.5%), and Hancock (9.1%). Sevier and Cocke county numbers may be a result of the Gatlinburg fire.
FYI: - The Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development (TDLWD) and Walters State Community College have started to distribute a $5.8 million National Dislocated Worker Grant from the U.S. Department of Labor that will fund the hiring of workers dislocated by the November wildfire in Sevier County. The grant will fund jobs that will assist in the wildfire clean-up efforts around Gatlinburg.
To apply, or to determine eligibility for employment, dislocated workers can visit the American Job Center at 1216 Graduate Drive in Sevierville, or contact Fran Valentine, the American Jobs Center career specialist, at 865-286-6378 or Frances.Valentine@ws.edu.
- How Republicans quietly sabotaged Obamacare long before Trump came into office (1 reply)
- Repealing Obamacare affects everyone (54 replies)
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (13 replies)
- What your Congressman thinks of you (8 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (2 replies)
- Maybe our government works after all (1 reply)
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (13 replies)
- Thousands of Would-Be Democratic Candidates Flood States in Trump Backlash (2 replies)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)