Tue
Jan 23 2024
07:43 am

Eight people in Knox County died from weather related issues. Only Shelby (11) and Knox (8) have reported more than two weather related deaths.

Six of the deaths list hypothermia as a contributing factor.
* a 73-year-old woman was found outside at the bottom of a staircase.
* a 71-year-old woman was found dead inside a residence with no heat.
* a 69-year-old woman was found dead inside a vehicle in a driveway.
* a 50-year-old homeless woman dead outside of an apartment complex.
* a 47-year-old homeless man was found dead outside.
* a 73-year-old homeless man was found.

Knock on your neighbors door or give them a call, email, or text. Then pass the word for all neighbors to check on their neighbors.

It's very sad.

Topics:
bizgrrl's picture

Knox County Health Department

Knox County Health Department Media Release
1/33/2023

Increase in carbon monoxide poisoning amidst extreme winter temperatures 

Knox County – Tenn. - With the extreme winter temperatures over the past week, there’s been an increase in reported cases of carbon monoxide poisoning. At least two of these cases are related to operating generators or heaters in enclosed spaces.  

“With the frigid temperatures we’ve seen recently, we know it can be tempting to find a way to heat your home any way that you can,” said Director of Communicable and Environmental Diseases and Emergency Preparedness Roberta Sturm. “However, when you bring portable generators inside, you’re putting yourself and those in your home at risk.”  

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can be fatal inside enclosed, semi-enclosed or poorly ventilated areas. Symptoms of CO poisoning include dizziness. headaches, nausea, and shortness of breath.   

Common sources of carbon monoxide are gas and propane heaters, gas and diesel-powered generators, natural gas appliances, woodstoves, and fires.  

To keep you and your family safe, follow these recommendations:  

Install battery-operated CO detectors near every sleeping area in your home. Check these detectors regularly to be sure they are functioning properly.   Have your furnace inspected every year.  Never use a generator inside your home or garage, even if doors and windows are open.   Only use generators outside, more than 20 feet away from your home, doors, and windows.   Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year.   Never use a gas range or oven for heating.  

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

TN Progressive

TN Politics

Knox TN Today

Local TV News

News Sentinel

    State News

    Wire Reports

    Lost Medicaid Funding

    To date, the failure to expand Medicaid/TennCare has cost the State of Tennessee ? in lost federal funding. (Source)

    Search and Archives