What: Blount County Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) Drop-In
When: Friday, March 24, 2017 - 9:00am
Where: : Children's Library at Blount County Public Library
Join members of Blount County's Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) chapter in the Children's Library area at the Blount County Public Library for casual conversation and to learn more about SURJ.
Look for the table with the SURJ sign and a couple of friendly people! And feel free to bring the kids – they can enjoy the Children’s Library area while adults learn about SURJ, or they can join in for the conversation! For more information about SURJ, see our website at (link...).
SURJ is a national network of groups and individuals organizing white people for racial justice. SURJ members believe that all people deserve access to the gifts of this life and that racial injustice is inconsistent with the values of compassion and integrity. Through community organizing, mobilizing, political analysis and education, SURJ encourages white people to act with passion and accountability as part of a non-violent and non-partisan multiracial majority to challenge racism in all its forms and to achieve the goal of ending racism in America. We are motivated by the lessons of our country’s history and the words of Dr. King: "It really boils down to this: that all life is interrelated. We are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied into a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly." (Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. from "A Christmas Sermon of Peace" 1967)
NOTE: Meeting is being held in the public Children’s Library area of the Blount County Public Library but is not a library event nor connected to or endorsed by the library.
- Thousands of Would-Be Democratic Candidates Flood States in Trump Backlash (1 reply)
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (6 replies)
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (11 replies)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)
- Mar 24 2017 - 9:00am (4 hours 47 min ago)
- Mar 28 2017 - 6:30pm (4 days 4 hours from now)
- Mar 29 2017 - 12:00pm (4 days 22 hours from now)
- Apr 27 2017 - 6:00pm (4 weeks 6 days from now)