What: Blount County Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) Drop-In
When: Friday, March 24, 2017 - 9:00am
Where: : Children's Library at Blount County Public Library
Join members of Blount County's Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) chapter in the Children's Library area at the Blount County Public Library for casual conversation and to learn more about SURJ.
Look for the table with the SURJ sign and a couple of friendly people! And feel free to bring the kids – they can enjoy the Children’s Library area while adults learn about SURJ, or they can join in for the conversation! For more information about SURJ, see our website at (link...).
SURJ is a national network of groups and individuals organizing white people for racial justice. SURJ members believe that all people deserve access to the gifts of this life and that racial injustice is inconsistent with the values of compassion and integrity. Through community organizing, mobilizing, political analysis and education, SURJ encourages white people to act with passion and accountability as part of a non-violent and non-partisan multiracial majority to challenge racism in all its forms and to achieve the goal of ending racism in America. We are motivated by the lessons of our country’s history and the words of Dr. King: "It really boils down to this: that all life is interrelated. We are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied into a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly." (Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. from "A Christmas Sermon of Peace" 1967)
NOTE: Meeting is being held in the public Children’s Library area of the Blount County Public Library but is not a library event nor connected to or endorsed by the library.
- Samantha Bee ... (1 reply)
- Tonight: Tom Perez/Bernie Sanders - Louisville, KY (32 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (115 replies)
- Forget Mar-a-Lago. This is how you roll... (3 replies)
- "Narrow miss" the new low bar for Democrats (5 replies)
- Opening lyrics (9 replies)
- How state policies affect the success or failure of Obamacare (1 reply)
- It's A Tax, Stupid (and on stupid too) (8 replies)
- Great opening lyrics (167 replies)
- City responds to Beacon Center dumbass (8 replies)
- They put the last clean shirt on my poor brother Bill (2 replies)
- New Urbanism Pessimism (4 replies)
- Apr 26 2017 - 12:00pm (2 days 10 hours from now)
- Apr 26 2017 - 6:30pm (2 days 16 hours from now)
- Apr 27 2017 - 6:00pm (3 days 16 hours from now)