When Jerry Wexler sent Wilson Pickett to Memphis, I'm sure he had no idea that in the first night, he and Steve Cropper would write "Don't Fight It," "Ninety Nine and A Half (Won't Do)," and "In The Midnight Hour" in a Jack Daniels-fueled cram session.
I've been around music all of my life, and I gotta say -- a lot of artists would kill to have that sort of output in twenty years, much less twenty hours.
Tonight, I'd like to express deepest sadness for the loss of a great American artist. Anyone who's ever heard "Land of 1000 Dances" or "Mustang Sally" knows what sort of impact that Wilson Pickett had on soul, blues, and rock music.Continued...
Welcome to KnoxViews, an open, progressive community space for citizens of Knoxville and the surrounding community to meet, organize, and discuss news, events, and issues affecting the community. We invite Citizen Journalists to contribute news, views, and other commentary. Organizations, community activists, artists, professional groups, and others are invited to use KnoxViews for promotion, announcements, blogging, event calendars, and other online communication. For more information about this site and how to get started, please see the about page. OK, then.
KnoxViews.com is a production of R. Neal and RViews Media. Contact us at:
PO Box 490
Alcoa, TN 37701
KnoxViews is a progressive, community driven citizen media site for residents of Knoxville and surrounding communities to report and discuss local, regional and state news about government and politics, current events and culture.
We invite Citizen Journalists to contribute news, views, and commentary. Government officials and political organizations, community activists, and others are invited to post announcements, events calendars, etc. and to join in the conversation.
Anyone can view content and post comments. Approved authors can create articles and other content on the front page.
Author status will be granted based on review of submissions. New registered users can also request Author permissions by e-mailing a proposed article summary to the site administrator using the 'contact' link in the navigation section. You will be notified if approved for Author status.
This is a progressive, liberal website. Opposing viewpoint is welcome in discussions, but is not appropriate for front page articles. Non-partisan articles about local government and other issues are appropriate and welcome.
Please post responsibly!
- On the login form, click the "Create new account". You must provide a valid e-mail address..
- Follow the instructions provided in the registration e-mail.
- Authors can create articles by clicking on "New Article" in the navigation shortcuts at the top of the page.
- Authors can also create content such as events, polls, etc. by clicking on the respective links in the navigation shortcuts.
- To view your personal blog, go to your account page and click "View recent blog entries." The link shown in your address bar is the URL address of your personal blog.
- You can upload photos and file attachments with your articles.
- When posting content, you can assign categories. This provides a way to view content from anywhere on the site by keywords and categories.
- Events will appear on the events calendar and upcoming events list.
- Posts should be relevant to the site's intended audience, which is East Tennessee liberals and progressives interested in local, state, and national government and politics, current events and culture from an East Tennessee perspective.
- Provide links to referenced news articles, and excerpts where appropriate. Don't copy and paste entire articles, or any other copyrighted materials such as photos without permission.
- Posts longer than three or four paragraphs should use the "break tag" (<!--break-->) to separate the "teaser"/intro from the body. Use the "Brk" or "Split Summary at Cursor" buttons to insert the tag.
- Be civil and ethical, and don't be a jerk. Don't troll or post off-topic comments or personal attacks. Don't post anything threatening, libelous, abusive, obscene or pornographic. Don't promote anything illegal. Don't post any racist, homophobic, xenophobic, or any other type of hate speech. Don't post unsubstantiated gossip or rumors. Don't post private information about anyone else without their permission. Keep the profanity to a minimum, especially on the front page. Violators of these rules will have the inappropriate material demoted or removed, and/or their user ID, e-mail address, and/or IP address banned. All editorial decisions are final and management is under no obligation to explain them.
- No spam or other type of commercial advertising posts. For information on advertising at this site, see here.
- All posted content is copyrighted by the original author. Original author will not post material which he/she is not authorized to distribute, such as material copyrighted by a third party. You may not copy or use content from KnoxViews.com without the original author's permission.
- Original authors, guest commenters, and others posting material at this site grant KnoxViews.com, R. Neal, and RViews Media permission to display their content on this site and to quote or excerpt their posted content for promotional or other purposes.
- All posted content is the responsibility of the original author. KnoxViews.com, R. Neal, and RViews Media are not responsible for any material posted by original authors or guest commenters. By the act of posting, guest commenters and original authors of any material posted at KnoxViews.com indemnify and hold harmless KnoxViews.com, R. Neal, and RViews Media against any claim of abuse, infringement, liability, or tort and accept sole responsibility for the material they post on KnoxViews.com.
- KnoxViews does not automatically collect personally identifiable information about visitors. Similar to most websites on the internet, some technical information (browser type, operating system, IP address, etc.) is recorded for statistical purposes. This statistical information contains no personally identifiable information and is not publicly accessible.
- Visitors may choose to provide a user name and verified email address to complete the optional registration process. This information is kept private except the user name is displayed in relation to content posted by the user. Registered users may also allow other users to contact them by way of private messages or by email in their user profile contact form. Note that a registered user's email address is shown in the reply address of emails sent via contact form.
- KnoxViews will not intentionally disclose any information about any user except on subpoena or order by a court of competent jurisdiction. The only information that can be provided is that which is recorded in the site's database, which resides on servers operated by our hosting service in Virginia. KnoxViews.com, R. Neal, and RViews Media reserve the right to charge a fee not to exceed $325 per hour plus expenses for any research or other activity related to complying with subpoenas or court order for release of information.
- By using this website, users agree that KnoxViews, R. Neal, and RViews Media are not liable for accidental or malicious disclosure of private information from this site or its databases due to hackers, fraud, or actions of users, malicious or otherwise, or any other circumstances beyond our control whether foreseeable or not.
- Third-party advertisers on this site such as Google may use browser "cookies" to track visits to this and other websites, create targeted ads, monitor ad performance and the like. No personally identifiable information is recorded, and KnoxViews does not control or have access to this information. If you have questions about ads, cookies, policies, preferences, etc. you may contact the advertiser.
E-mail tips, info, press releases, etc. are welcome. When e-mailing the site administrator, please be specific regarding whether it is for publication and who to attribute. We will generally assume it is meant to be mentioned on the blog to help promote or advocate whatever it is you are promoting or advocating unless instructed otherwise.
- Blurring the Racial Lines (29 replies)
- DG tissues: what you see (3 replies)
- KnoxViews 2014 year in review (4 replies)
- What are best places to get soup in Knoxville? (19 replies)
- The banality of evil (6 replies)
- Autism Risk Linked to Particulate Air Pollution (6 replies)
- NLRB issues complaints since McDonald's qualifies as joint employer (2 replies)
- City to rebid Cumberland Ave. project (52 replies)
- Happy birthday to the Mr. (42 replies)
- Geek stuff: Droid Turbo (8 replies)
- Circle Modern Dance Primitive Light (2 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (76 replies)