Since its the shopping season, I was thinking of Knoxville retailers that have gone to that great discount bin in the sky.
Some I can remember
- Sterchi's Furniture -- google says there's Sterchi's in Kentucky, but are they gone from Knoxville?
- Speaking of furniture, Mad Jack Fielding's Furniture Warehouse Outlet -- how could anyone who had a TV in Knoxville in the late Seventies or early Eighties forget Mad Jack? (You might want to forget him, but that's different.)
- Hills -- low end department store, noted for their no credit cards policy
- Watson's -- mid range clothing
- Giant Food -- there's still Giants in the mid-Atlantic and PA, but I think both are different chains. (And don't get me started about the decline of Giant here in Maryland since the founder died and his heirs sold off the chain to a Dutch conglomerate....)
- White Stores/Whiteway -- noted for being a grocery store that wouldn't sell beer, which got them business from religious conservatives. Become Red Food, then Food City.
- Miller's -- somewhat high end department store, now Dillards (?)
- The Knox -- another high-end department store, long-gone
- Yankee Peddler -- okay, a geek favorite, but a little store in Farragut that sold Dungeons and Dragons paraphernalia and the like.
- Infrastructure grades (1 reply)
- Alcoa Hwy closed this morning UT Hospital northbound (1 reply)
- Sen. Alexander, you should be ashamed (7 replies)
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (29 replies)
- BCBS Pulling Out of TN Metros (16 replies)
- Let's get ready to rumble! (21 replies)
- Toxic air pollution nanoparticles discovered in the human brain (1 reply)
- Butt probe (8 replies)
- UT vs UF - it's on (15 replies)
- The millennial vote? (8 replies)
- I called the Wells Fargo ethics line and was fired (3 replies)
- Trump Health Plan Would Raise Costs, Clinton's Would Insure More (1 reply)
- Sep 28 2016 - 12:00pm (31 min 59 sec from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 5:00pm (1 day 5 hours from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 6:00pm (1 day 6 hours from now)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 7 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 2 days from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (1 week 5 days from now)