Since its the shopping season, I was thinking of Knoxville retailers that have gone to that great discount bin in the sky.
Some I can remember
- Sterchi's Furniture -- google says there's Sterchi's in Kentucky, but are they gone from Knoxville?
- Speaking of furniture, Mad Jack Fielding's Furniture Warehouse Outlet -- how could anyone who had a TV in Knoxville in the late Seventies or early Eighties forget Mad Jack? (You might want to forget him, but that's different.)
- Hills -- low end department store, noted for their no credit cards policy
- Watson's -- mid range clothing
- Giant Food -- there's still Giants in the mid-Atlantic and PA, but I think both are different chains. (And don't get me started about the decline of Giant here in Maryland since the founder died and his heirs sold off the chain to a Dutch conglomerate....)
- White Stores/Whiteway -- noted for being a grocery store that wouldn't sell beer, which got them business from religious conservatives. Become Red Food, then Food City.
- Miller's -- somewhat high end department store, now Dillards (?)
- The Knox -- another high-end department store, long-gone
- Yankee Peddler -- okay, a geek favorite, but a little store in Farragut that sold Dungeons and Dragons paraphernalia and the like.
- Planets align on Siler v. Briggs debate (3 replies)
- Robert Reich to speak in Knoxville (6 replies)
- Bar Marley (6 replies)
- Obamacare's not perfect (duh!) (2 replies)
- Watch this and get inspired (3 replies)
- South Waterfront update: A lot happening (12 replies)
- A future for I-40? (18 replies)
- The Artful Dodger: Dr. Briggs "radio silence" on Cheri Siler's invitation to debate (39 replies)
- BREAKING: Herron will not seek second term as TNDP chair (11 replies)
- Burchett: McIntyre needs to go (53 replies)
- A Trip in the Country (3 replies)
- Asperger Support Group Tonight 6pm-7pm with Special Guests (14 replies)
- Sep 23 2014 - 6:15pm (9 hours 47 min from now)
- Sep 23 2014 - 7:00pm (10 hours 32 min from now)
- Sep 25 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 9 hours from now)
- Oct 5 2014 - 2:00pm (1 week 5 days from now)