Since its the shopping season, I was thinking of Knoxville retailers that have gone to that great discount bin in the sky.
Some I can remember
- Sterchi's Furniture -- google says there's Sterchi's in Kentucky, but are they gone from Knoxville?
- Speaking of furniture, Mad Jack Fielding's Furniture Warehouse Outlet -- how could anyone who had a TV in Knoxville in the late Seventies or early Eighties forget Mad Jack? (You might want to forget him, but that's different.)
- Hills -- low end department store, noted for their no credit cards policy
- Watson's -- mid range clothing
- Giant Food -- there's still Giants in the mid-Atlantic and PA, but I think both are different chains. (And don't get me started about the decline of Giant here in Maryland since the founder died and his heirs sold off the chain to a Dutch conglomerate....)
- White Stores/Whiteway -- noted for being a grocery store that wouldn't sell beer, which got them business from religious conservatives. Become Red Food, then Food City.
- Miller's -- somewhat high end department store, now Dillards (?)
- The Knox -- another high-end department store, long-gone
- Yankee Peddler -- okay, a geek favorite, but a little store in Farragut that sold Dungeons and Dragons paraphernalia and the like.
- Josh Flory leaving KNS (11 replies)
- Obama wants community college to be free (68 replies)
- KNS Friday liberal column changeup (5 replies)
- Bonnaroo lineup announced (27 replies)
- Rape trial for former Vandy football players (20 replies)
- Build A Better Mousetrap (or just do the job better) (2 replies)
- Knoxville City Sign Ordinance (11 replies)
- Geek stuff: HTPC experiment (17 replies)
- It's getting close to tax time (4 replies)
- 2015 State of The Union Watch Party TONITE! (22 replies)
- Seattle has first LED lit baseball field (1 reply)
- Tennessee's wealthiest people (28 replies)
- Jan 26 2015 - 10:00pm (12 hours 29 min from now)
- Jan 27 2015 - 5:30pm (1 day 7 hours from now)
- Jan 27 2015 - 6:00pm (1 day 8 hours from now)
- Jan 27 2015 - 6:15pm (1 day 8 hours from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (1 week 5 days from now)