Fall colors are just about peaking above 4000 ft. on the Cherohala Skyway. This week and next should be pretty good times for viewing.
Here's a recommended daytrip loop. Take US411 to Madisonville, then TN68 to Tellico Plains and get on the TN165 Cherohala Skyway. Make a detour to Indian Boundary Recreation Area where there are campgrounds, a picnic area, and a 3.5 mile easy trail along the edge of the 95 acre lake. Then go back to TN165 into NC and take a left on Santeetlah Rd., a right on Joyce Kilmer through the Joyce Kilmer Forest, follow the signs to US129, and head back across the "Dragon" to US411.
It's about 125 miles of beautiful scenery and river roads with lots of hiking trails and things to see. And it's not as crowded as the popular Smoky Mountain destinations. Here are a few photos from along the route.
- Trump's Cabinet (66 replies)
- Companies Are Recycling Their Old News to Avoid Being Blasted in a Trump Tweet (2 replies)
- A message (1 reply)
- We are living... (2 replies)
- Repealing Obamacare affects everyone (11 replies)
- Roger Kane Insists our Legislature is Incredibly Diverse (4 replies)
- Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) on secularists (8 replies)
- Traffic cameras and the Constitution (3 replies)
- South Waterfront area coffee shop opens (4 replies)
- Some Inauguration Day tips... (1 reply)
- Buzzfeed - Reports Allege Trump Has Deep Ties To Russia (12 replies)
- Does Trump know nothing about our land? (1 reply)