Fall colors are just about peaking above 4000 ft. on the Cherohala Skyway. This week and next should be pretty good times for viewing.
Here's a recommended daytrip loop. Take US411 to Madisonville, then TN68 to Tellico Plains and get on the TN165 Cherohala Skyway. Make a detour to Indian Boundary Recreation Area where there are campgrounds, a picnic area, and a 3.5 mile easy trail along the edge of the 95 acre lake. Then go back to TN165 into NC and take a left on Santeetlah Rd., a right on Joyce Kilmer through the Joyce Kilmer Forest, follow the signs to US129, and head back across the "Dragon" to US411.
It's about 125 miles of beautiful scenery and river roads with lots of hiking trails and things to see. And it's not as crowded as the popular Smoky Mountain destinations. Here are a few photos from along the route.
- Art or advertising? Magpies and city trying to sort it out (22 replies)
- Haslam to outsource operation of U.T. and other university facilities (61 replies)
- Stand Up for Good Jobs, Living Wages, & Our Public Services! (2 replies)
- This will make you feel old (2 replies)
- Making out like a Bandit? (79 replies)
- Big Brother is (was?) listening at the courthouse (13 replies)
- U.S. Economy Added 173,000 Jobs in August; Unemployment Rate Fell (1 reply)
- Rowan Co. KY county clerk in the national spotlight for defying U.S. Supreme Court (20 replies)
- Tennessee judge won't grant divorce because the gays win (3 replies)
- State officials promote 'low-cost labor force' to lure foreign industries to Tennessee (2 replies)
- State seeks input on proposed law to charge for public records inspection (1 reply)
- The beast has more than one belly: (21 replies)
- Sep 4 2015 - 6:00pm (3 hours 19 min ago)
- Sep 4 2015 - 7:00pm (2 hours 19 min ago)
- Sep 11 2015 - 6:30pm (6 days 21 hours from now)