Fall colors are just about peaking above 4000 ft. on the Cherohala Skyway. This week and next should be pretty good times for viewing.
Here's a recommended daytrip loop. Take US411 to Madisonville, then TN68 to Tellico Plains and get on the TN165 Cherohala Skyway. Make a detour to Indian Boundary Recreation Area where there are campgrounds, a picnic area, and a 3.5 mile easy trail along the edge of the 95 acre lake. Then go back to TN165 into NC and take a left on Santeetlah Rd., a right on Joyce Kilmer through the Joyce Kilmer Forest, follow the signs to US129, and head back across the "Dragon" to US411.
It's about 125 miles of beautiful scenery and river roads with lots of hiking trails and things to see. And it's not as crowded as the popular Smoky Mountain destinations. Here are a few photos from along the route.
- If "The Smart Bush" Runs (1 reply)
- Income disparity in Tennessee (4 replies)
- Iindependent Lens file: A Path Appears (2 replies)
- Rape trial for former Vandy football players (26 replies)
- Mayor Rogero responds to News Sentinel allegation of sunshine violation (14 replies)
- Answers at Saturday's annual SPJ legislative session (7 replies)
- East Coast historic blizzard? (5 replies)
- US Deficit to lowest level since 2007 (2 replies)
- Knox Co. suing Mike Lowe? (1 reply)
- Snowing here (2 replies)
- Google Fiber advancing in Nashville? (8 replies)
- Josh Flory leaving KNS (12 replies)
- Jan 27 2015 - 5:30pm (5 hours 37 min ago)
- Jan 27 2015 - 6:00pm (5 hours 7 min ago)
- Jan 27 2015 - 6:15pm (4 hours 52 min ago)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)