Fall colors are just about peaking above 4000 ft. on the Cherohala Skyway. This week and next should be pretty good times for viewing.
Here's a recommended daytrip loop. Take US411 to Madisonville, then TN68 to Tellico Plains and get on the TN165 Cherohala Skyway. Make a detour to Indian Boundary Recreation Area where there are campgrounds, a picnic area, and a 3.5 mile easy trail along the edge of the 95 acre lake. Then go back to TN165 into NC and take a left on Santeetlah Rd., a right on Joyce Kilmer through the Joyce Kilmer Forest, follow the signs to US129, and head back across the "Dragon" to US411.
It's about 125 miles of beautiful scenery and river roads with lots of hiking trails and things to see. And it's not as crowded as the popular Smoky Mountain destinations. Here are a few photos from along the route.
- Episcopal Church approves liturgy for blessing same-gender unions (4 replies)
- McIntyre: Burchett remarks "appalling" and "ignorant" (32 replies)
- Unemployment up in Tennessee (9 replies)
- Why can't the US make erasers? (10 replies)
- 10th anniversay of US invasion of Iraq (43 replies)
- Patient advocates say insurers avoiding the sick (2 replies)
- Knoxville attorney Terry Adams announces for U.S. Senate (7 replies)
- TN Supreme Court Ruling on Property Rights (4 replies)
- Books Sandwiched In Welcomes Alvin Nance This Wednesday! (3 replies)
- ISIS (39 replies)
- August 18 (16 replies)
- Maybe he was trying to get help? (2 replies)