If you're looking for something a little different to serve for dessert at weekend get-togethers, try these easy-to make Fried Banana Pies.
• Get some large, firm, barely ripe bananas. Each banana will make four mini-pies. Barely ripe bananas will hold their texture better.
• Get some Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry dough. It comes in ready-to-use sheets in your grocery's freezer section. (I tried filo dough, but it's too fragile for me to work with. Your mileage may vary.)
• You'll also need some honey, and/or brown sugar if desired, powdered confectioner's sugar, and vegetable cooking oil.
1. Peel and slice bananas in half longways, and then in half again crossways.
2. Lay out a sheet of puff pastry dough. I roll it out a little thinner to make it go further and make the pies less doughy.
3. Cut a square of pastry dough slightly longer than a banana piece, and place the banana on it. Put a little honey on the banana, and/or sprinkle a little brown sugar if desired, roll it up so it looks like an eggroll, then pinch all the seams and ends together to seal it.
4. Fry in a skillet with 1/4" or so of medium-hot cooking oil. Fry on each side until the dough is done to a crispy golden brown.
5. Remove from skillet and use a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Sprinkle with powdered confectioner's sugar.
Serve hot, alone or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. Yum!
- Marsha, Marsha, Marsha: unlike Duncan, not afraid of constituents (4 replies)
- Louisville Point Park Eagle? (2 replies)
- Swedes confused/angered by Trump remark (5 replies)
- Traffic deaths expected to have hit troubling milestone (1 reply)
- LWV local news media forum (6 replies)
- The Great Backyard Bird Count is underway (4 replies)
- Concerns linger over future of AMSE after land transfer (1 reply)
- McCain Defends a Free Press: ‘That’s How Dictators Get Started’ (2 replies)
- Nearly one-third of TN high schoolers graduated without all course requirements in 2015 (4 replies)
- U.S. House sanctions hunting hibernating bears, wolf pups in their dens (2 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (101 replies)
- What's Going On? An update about road and greenway projects across Blount County (2 replies)
- Feb 22 2017 - 12:00pm (2 hours 57 min ago)
- Feb 23 2017 - 6:00pm (1 day 3 hours from now)
- Feb 27 2017 - 7:00pm (5 days 4 hours from now)