South Korea paid Russia $20 million to get their first astronaut (participant) in space. Yi So-yeon, a South Korean bioengineer, was picked from 36,000 applicants. She was actually South Korea's second pick. Ko San made a boo boo and, alas, he was replaced.
The Soyuz flight also marked a milestone for the mission commander, Volkov, who became the first second-generation astronaut or cosmonaut to reach space.
Volkov's father, Alexander Volkov, is a decorated cosmonaut from the Soviet era. On his last journey, he left Earth as a Soviet citizen and returned as a citizen of the new Russian Federation, following the breakup of the Soviet Union.
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (14 replies)
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (8 replies)
- BREAKING: Halls Shopper joins the 21st Century, fans rejoice! (12 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (198 replies)
- Metro Pulse and Cas Walker (2 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (68 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (180 replies)
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (37 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (1 hour 48 min from now)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (9 hours 18 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 8 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)