South Korea paid Russia $20 million to get their first astronaut (participant) in space. Yi So-yeon, a South Korean bioengineer, was picked from 36,000 applicants. She was actually South Korea's second pick. Ko San made a boo boo and, alas, he was replaced.
The Soyuz flight also marked a milestone for the mission commander, Volkov, who became the first second-generation astronaut or cosmonaut to reach space.
Volkov's father, Alexander Volkov, is a decorated cosmonaut from the Soviet era. On his last journey, he left Earth as a Soviet citizen and returned as a citizen of the new Russian Federation, following the breakup of the Soviet Union.
- Adams fundraising update (2 replies)
- R.I.P. James Garner (6 replies)
- Jonathan Turley - "Get ready for an even bigger threat to Obamacare" (11 replies)
- Jason Emert, Sleazy campaigner (7 replies)
- No Credit? No Problem (10 replies)
- Briggs (188 replies)
- Gang of 4.0 on radio this morning (3 replies)
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (14 replies)
- Should Knox Co. Democrats cross over in the upcoming primaries? (42 replies)
- Yes, Virginia, there are Democrats on the ballot (9 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (42 replies)
- Here's why you should vote "yes" for all judicial retentions (1 reply)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (1 day 20 hours from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (3 days 11 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (6 days 12 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (6 days 19 hours from now)