South Korea paid Russia $20 million to get their first astronaut (participant) in space. Yi So-yeon, a South Korean bioengineer, was picked from 36,000 applicants. She was actually South Korea's second pick. Ko San made a boo boo and, alas, he was replaced.
The Soyuz flight also marked a milestone for the mission commander, Volkov, who became the first second-generation astronaut or cosmonaut to reach space.
Volkov's father, Alexander Volkov, is a decorated cosmonaut from the Soviet era. On his last journey, he left Earth as a Soviet citizen and returned as a citizen of the new Russian Federation, following the breakup of the Soviet Union.
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (15 replies)
- Clinton, Trump 2016 Presidential Debate - 9/26/2016, 9 PM (7 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (61 replies)
- UT vs UF - it's on (12 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday selling Maryville headquarters (4 replies)
- Clinton supporter fear? (16 replies)
- Glenn Reynolds' twitter account suspended (19 replies)
- Frank Cagle confused about houseboats (10 replies)
- I called the Wells Fargo ethics line and was fired (2 replies)
- BURCHETT LOADING MPC WITH DEVELOPERS (2 replies)
- Technology breakthrough! (1 reply)
- Broadway near Henley closure planned for 2 1/2 years (4 replies)
- Sep 28 2016 - 12:00pm (3 days 1 hour from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 5:00pm (4 days 6 hours from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 6:00pm (4 days 7 hours from now)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 4 days from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (2 weeks 1 day from now)