WDVX won Bluegrass Radio Station of the Year and morning personality Freddy Smith received the Bluegrass DJ of the Year award at the 34th Annual Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America (SPBGMA) Bluegrass Awards held Sunday, February 3, 2008, during their National Convention in Nashville.
Full press release follows...
WDVX Named Bluegrass Radio Station of Year;
Smith Awarded Bluegrass DJ of the Year
KNOXVILLE, Tenn.—WDVX won Bluegrass Radio Station of the Year and morning personality Freddy Smith received the Bluegrass DJ of the Year award at the 34th Annual Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America (SPBGMA) Bluegrass Awards held Sunday, February 3, 2008, during their National Convention in Nashville.
“I am delighted to accept this award for Bluegrass Radio Station of the Year,” said Tony Lawson, WDVX General Manager. “We owe this honor to our loyal listeners and supporters around the world.”
WDVX has received this award four times in the past six years. This is Smith’s second nomination and second win.
“I am just so thrilled to be recognized for doing a job that I love and have fun at every day,” said Smith. “I am honored to represent East Tennessee and bluegrass music.”
The 34th Annual SPBGMA Bluegrass Awards was held on Sunday, February 3, 2007, in Nashville. The National Convention ran from January 31-February 3 and included lots of live music, workshops, showcase of bands, an international band championship contest, Preservation Hall Induction Ceremony and the awards show. SPBGMA’s goals include the preservation of the traditional spirit and form of Bluegrass music.
WDVX is a listener-supported, nonprofit, independent grassroots radio station incorporated in 1991 to sustain the efforts of regional musicians, writers, storytellers and other artists through broadcast activities and provide cultural and educational opportunities through regionally focused, diverse programming. Learn more about WDVX or listen online by visiting www.wdvx.com.
- Clinton, Trump rack up big wins in New England states (16 replies)
- What's next for Obama? (4 replies)
- Latest chapter of the Pilot saga (9 replies)
- Pope's Garden Center is closing (18 replies)
- Dogwood Arts & Crafts Fair - Market Square - April 29 - May 1, 2016 (1 reply)
- Quote of the Day (4 replies)
- Conversations (1 reply)
- Haslam signs bill allowing religious discrimination (20 replies)
- Mayor Rogero announces $302.68 million budget, no tax increases (6 replies)
- Chobani CEO Giving Employees an Ownership Stake in Yogurt Empire (1 reply)
- KCS cancels all TCAP/TN Ready tests not already underway (4 replies)
- McIntyre to helm UT education leadership center (8 replies)