Sitting out here on my digital dial up connection, I lust for a high speed conection. Even though we have 30 houses requesting service on 2 miles of road, nobody wants to get us connected. Frustrating, particularly knowing that the great state of Kentucky has roughly 80% of the state served by broadband while Tennessee is almost exactly the opposite.
The folks in West Roane County have given up on the usual suspects and taken matters into their own hands. After working for several years now, trying to get Rural Broadband, several folks beat the bushes and looked for their own solution. They found it in a wireless internet company that has succesfully built a wireless broadband cloud over 3500 square miles of Minnesota and is working with local partners to start serving Roane County's neglected customers.
Initially aimed (literally) at the area south of Rockwood, the company's system will be capable of serving a large portion of Roane County's population and several neighborhoods in Rhea county as well.
These guys are a small can-do group who have already come down here, set up test antennae, and driven around to figure out where their smallish antennae need to be located in order to reach the most homes in our hilly countyside. Satisfied they can provide the service, they are now asking for folks who may be interested to go and put their names on the list of potential customers.
Who knows...If this one is a success, and it looks like a winner to me, Tenessee may get serious coverage.
Check it out and sign up if you are anywhere near Roosevelt Mountain, west Roane County, or Westel.
- Foster Arnett: Hacked or unhinged? You decide (94 replies)
- Proposed ozone rules grab East Tennessee mayors' attention (5 replies)
- Arnett comes out of hiding (34 replies)
- Rep. Womick doubles down v. U.S. Supreme Court (8 replies)
- Haslam lays out plans for statewide road revenue tour (2 replies)
- Foster Arnett Parking Space + News Sentinel Removed Story (45 replies)
- Blue Hair for Bernie - Canceled (1 reply)
- Marines to volunteer armed guards: Thanks but no thanks (6 replies)
- City Council at Large Race Seat C (8 replies)
- Trump: John McCain is no war hero, plus he's a loser (20 replies)
- Eastbound Cumberland Ave. to close for six weeks (1 reply)
- Learn About Solar Energy This Saturday! (2 replies)
- Jul 29 2015 - 12:00pm (13 hours 25 min from now)
- Jul 29 2015 - 6:00pm (19 hours 25 min from now)
- Aug 7 2015 - 7:00pm (1 week 2 days from now)
- Sep 11 2015 - 6:30pm (6 weeks 2 days from now)