Sitting out here on my digital dial up connection, I lust for a high speed conection. Even though we have 30 houses requesting service on 2 miles of road, nobody wants to get us connected. Frustrating, particularly knowing that the great state of Kentucky has roughly 80% of the state served by broadband while Tennessee is almost exactly the opposite.
The folks in West Roane County have given up on the usual suspects and taken matters into their own hands. After working for several years now, trying to get Rural Broadband, several folks beat the bushes and looked for their own solution. They found it in a wireless internet company that has succesfully built a wireless broadband cloud over 3500 square miles of Minnesota and is working with local partners to start serving Roane County's neglected customers.
Initially aimed (literally) at the area south of Rockwood, the company's system will be capable of serving a large portion of Roane County's population and several neighborhoods in Rhea county as well.
These guys are a small can-do group who have already come down here, set up test antennae, and driven around to figure out where their smallish antennae need to be located in order to reach the most homes in our hilly countyside. Satisfied they can provide the service, they are now asking for folks who may be interested to go and put their names on the list of potential customers.
Who knows...If this one is a success, and it looks like a winner to me, Tenessee may get serious coverage.
Check it out and sign up if you are anywhere near Roosevelt Mountain, west Roane County, or Westel.
- McIntyre: Pregnancy is a "physical disability?" (12 replies)
- a fine BLT (15 replies)
- Surprise, surprise! (34 replies)
- ISIS (73 replies)
- House plans to spend up to $350,000 on Obama suit (1 reply)
- Knox County Commission Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS (9 replies)
- Nashville schools forced to purchase technology via capital, not operating, budget? (10 replies)
- Food Stamp Recipients in Michigan Double Up on Fruits, Veggies (5 replies)
- Who should replace Indya Kincannon on School Board? (5 replies)
- Police state of America (35 replies)
- Gaza: it's about natural gas (18 replies)
- Mayor Rogero supports Freedom to Marry (14 replies)