Sitting out here on my digital dial up connection, I lust for a high speed conection. Even though we have 30 houses requesting service on 2 miles of road, nobody wants to get us connected. Frustrating, particularly knowing that the great state of Kentucky has roughly 80% of the state served by broadband while Tennessee is almost exactly the opposite.
The folks in West Roane County have given up on the usual suspects and taken matters into their own hands. After working for several years now, trying to get Rural Broadband, several folks beat the bushes and looked for their own solution. They found it in a wireless internet company that has succesfully built a wireless broadband cloud over 3500 square miles of Minnesota and is working with local partners to start serving Roane County's neglected customers.
Initially aimed (literally) at the area south of Rockwood, the company's system will be capable of serving a large portion of Roane County's population and several neighborhoods in Rhea county as well.
These guys are a small can-do group who have already come down here, set up test antennae, and driven around to figure out where their smallish antennae need to be located in order to reach the most homes in our hilly countyside. Satisfied they can provide the service, they are now asking for folks who may be interested to go and put their names on the list of potential customers.
Who knows...If this one is a success, and it looks like a winner to me, Tenessee may get serious coverage.
Check it out and sign up if you are anywhere near Roosevelt Mountain, west Roane County, or Westel.
- Honey Bees Question (2 replies)
- Shoulda got Moxley (91 replies)
- CCA under federal investigation (3 replies)
- Daily Show: Third world health care in Knoxville (32 replies)
- FINAL CALL! Stop the State Power Grab- NO Changes to the Right to Farm Act! (28 replies)
- The 5 National Parks Hardest Hit by the Government Shutdown (2 replies)
- Herr Huffman-Rhee on TEA (and 'Faux' Parents) (5 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (16 replies)
- Fulton Lady Falcons win at state quarterfinals, 67-49 over Cannon County (5 replies)
- Shame on you Gov. Haslam (14 replies)
- What's the deal with switchblades? (27 replies)
- Keep Knoxville Beautiful: Nominate a location to be beautified (7 replies)
- Mar 8 2014 - 6:30pm (5 hours 2 min ago)
- Mar 20 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 4 days from now)