Joe Sullivan says in Metro Pulse that Knox County owes Knox County Schools $10 million in disputed trustee collection fees.
(In the process, he says Mayor Burchett and County Commission are "cheapskates" and accuses County Law Director Bud Armstrong of "egregious behavior," "dereliction of duty," "improprieties," and "incompetence.")
Anyway, later on he says the money should not be used for recurring expenses such as teacher raises, but rather the "one-time cost of a system-wide instructional technology initiative that would put a laptop or tablet in the hands of every student for inventive and differentiated learning."
I am unfamiliar with the concept of "one-time costs" in relation to IT projects. There's the acquisition cost (and depreciation), but then there are the training and implementation costs (initial and recurring for updates, new applications, student/staff turnover), ongoing systems and application administration, periodic software licensing, maintenance and update fees, incidental hardware repair/replacement, recurring infrastructure (network/bandwidth) costs and associated administrative overhead.
So, while lawyers sort out the fee dispute and regardless of how one feels about the appropriate use of classroom technology, there's no such thing as a "one-time" cost to implement it.
(As for "inventive and differentiated," does this kid look like he's engaged and having fun and benefiting from technology v. interaction with a real live human teacher?)
- Musicians who don't like Trump and don't appreciate him using their music (1 reply)
- Bernie's Statement to His Supporters on His Endorsement of Hillary (13 replies)
- Clinton picks Kaine (11 replies)
- Analysts say Trump's economic plan would be a disaster (1 reply)
- Clinton responds to Trump convention speech (2 replies)
- WikiLeaks releases 20K DNC e-mails. (3 replies)
- Who will Clinton pick as VP? (38 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (364 replies)
- Mark Harmon: Thanks, Obama. No, really, thanks (5 replies)
- Hotter than a $2 pistol (7 replies)
- While waiting for November, don't forget there are local elections going on (6 replies)
- How car-sharing is already helping cities with their transit issues (1 reply)
- Jul 27 2016 - 12:00pm (2 days 23 hours from now)
- Jul 28 2016 - 3:00pm (4 days 2 hours from now)