Joe Sullivan says in Metro Pulse that Knox County owes Knox County Schools $10 million in disputed trustee collection fees.
(In the process, he says Mayor Burchett and County Commission are "cheapskates" and accuses County Law Director Bud Armstrong of "egregious behavior," "dereliction of duty," "improprieties," and "incompetence.")
Anyway, later on he says the money should not be used for recurring expenses such as teacher raises, but rather the "one-time cost of a system-wide instructional technology initiative that would put a laptop or tablet in the hands of every student for inventive and differentiated learning."
I am unfamiliar with the concept of "one-time costs" in relation to IT projects. There's the acquisition cost (and depreciation), but then there are the training and implementation costs (initial and recurring for updates, new applications, student/staff turnover), ongoing systems and application administration, periodic software licensing, maintenance and update fees, incidental hardware repair/replacement, recurring infrastructure (network/bandwidth) costs and associated administrative overhead.
So, while lawyers sort out the fee dispute and regardless of how one feels about the appropriate use of classroom technology, there's no such thing as a "one-time" cost to implement it.
(As for "inventive and differentiated," does this kid look like he's engaged and having fun and benefiting from technology v. interaction with a real live human teacher?)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (58 replies)
- Women's Suffrage Monument Unveiled in Nashville (5 replies)
- Who will be Tennessee's next governor? (9 replies)
- 2016 election could be decided by 20 counties (1 reply)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (369 replies)
- "It's a sad day for our city" - Maryville, Alcoa, Blount County (4 replies)
- Obamacare accountable care programs rang up $466 million in Medicare savings last year (2 replies)
- Blue Cross to raise rates by 62% for individual policies (37 replies)
- Rolling Stone: Hillary's New Deal (7 replies)
- Cheat sheet on why to vote for the Democratic candidate (1 reply)
- Mass shooting in Orlando (17 replies)
- Knox Co. breaks ground on new all-inclusive playground (1 reply)