In their latest newsletter, MPC advises that they are setting up a single email address for communication with MPC Commissioners - email@example.com - and you can also see a blurb about it on their website.
I think that is great, but
then they also make it clear that they are judging from their website, it looks like they may be doing away with individual email addresses for Commissioners, which is not so great.
I have heard from a couple of Commissioners who said that some of them have received threatening or vulgar communications and it was thought that having a single email address for all would stop that from happening.
My feeling is that if someone receives a threatening email, it should be reported to the Sheriff, and it is not a good reason to prevent the public from communicating with individual Commissioners.
City Council, County Commission and the School Board all provide individual email addresses as well as a joint address and I don't see why MPC should be any different. If someone doesn't want individual communication with the public, perhaps they should rethink their service on MPC.
I recognize that service on MPC Commission is a thankless and unpaid job and I appreciate those who choose to serve. But I do think it is important that they be accessible to the public, and not just through a joint email address.
- Mayor Rogero lowers the boom on former mayor and Shopper columnist Victor Ashe (54 replies)
- Six Knox Co. high schools "failing" according to state tests (26 replies)
- KCSO Proposed Safety Center (1 reply)
- Right-wing contortions (2 replies)
- McIntyre's self-evaluation (13 replies)
- Lady Justice is Missing (21 replies)
- Who Turned My Blue State Red? (10 replies)
- From Our "McElroy is Blithering" Dept... (7 replies)
- Epic oil glut sparks super tanker 'traffic jams' at sea (1 reply)
- Refugee roundup (12 replies)
- Knoxville and surrounding communities livability (15 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (75 replies)