This is a blunt and troubling article by Robert Reich and posted on AlterNet. It raises an important issue of which I think most people are unaware - rising maternal mortality in the US. It also highlights the reasons behind it.
Robert Reich: How the Right is Literally Killing Women
The maternal death rate is growing. That is just wrong.
In 1990, the maternal mortality rate in America was 12.4 women per 100,000 births. In 2003, it was 17.6. Now it’s 18.5.... Something’s clearly wrong....Researchers aren’t sure what’s happening but they’re almost unanimous in pointing to a lack of access to health care, coupled with rising levels of poverty....But this tragic trend is also a clear matter of public choice.
- Anger erupts at Republican town halls (5 replies)
- Repealing Obamacare affects everyone (25 replies)
- Thoughts on Trumpspeak (2 replies)
- City to exclude glass from curbside recycling (17 replies)
- Bill Gates: The robot that takes your job should pay taxes (2 replies)
- NYT - Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence (10 replies)
- Louisville Point Park Eagle? (3 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (103 replies)
- Marsha, Marsha, Marsha: unlike Duncan, not afraid of constituents (5 replies)
- Swedes confused/angered by Trump remark (5 replies)
- Traffic deaths expected to have hit troubling milestone (1 reply)
- LWV local news media forum (6 replies)
- Feb 27 2017 - 7:00pm (3 days 17 hours from now)
- Mar 7 2017 - 7:00pm (1 week 4 days from now)