This is a blunt and troubling article by Robert Reich and posted on AlterNet. It raises an important issue of which I think most people are unaware - rising maternal mortality in the US. It also highlights the reasons behind it.
Robert Reich: How the Right is Literally Killing Women
The maternal death rate is growing. That is just wrong.
In 1990, the maternal mortality rate in America was 12.4 women per 100,000 births. In 2003, it was 17.6. Now it’s 18.5.... Something’s clearly wrong....Researchers aren’t sure what’s happening but they’re almost unanimous in pointing to a lack of access to health care, coupled with rising levels of poverty....But this tragic trend is also a clear matter of public choice.
- South High redux as Assisted Living Center (1 reply)
- Bill seeking to stop scalpers from grabbing online tickets has cleared the House (2 replies)
- Ammo plant deal falling apart? (2 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (69 replies)
- Businessman wants to add waterfall to South Knoxville waterfront (23 replies)
- Dover to develop South High (8 replies)
- AMI ammo factory deal could involve $20 million in state incentives (28 replies)
- KNS not to endorse in Presidential race (8 replies)
- Debates 3, Climate Change 0 (3 replies)
- Debate takeaway headlines (11 replies)
- New plans for old church in South Knoxville (11 replies)
- Meeting on changes to SW Form-based Code Thursday 10/20 (1 reply)
- Oct 23 2016 - 9:30am (16 hours 5 min from now)
- Oct 23 2016 - 2:00pm (20 hours 35 min from now)
- Oct 26 2016 - 12:00pm (3 days 18 hours from now)
- Oct 29 2016 - 3:00pm (6 days 21 hours from now)
- Oct 30 2016 - 1:30pm (1 week 20 hours from now)