This is a blunt and troubling article by Robert Reich and posted on AlterNet. It raises an important issue of which I think most people are unaware - rising maternal mortality in the US. It also highlights the reasons behind it.
Robert Reich: How the Right is Literally Killing Women
The maternal death rate is growing. That is just wrong.
In 1990, the maternal mortality rate in America was 12.4 women per 100,000 births. In 2003, it was 17.6. Now it’s 18.5.... Something’s clearly wrong....Researchers aren’t sure what’s happening but they’re almost unanimous in pointing to a lack of access to health care, coupled with rising levels of poverty....But this tragic trend is also a clear matter of public choice.
- Steve Wildsmith: The hardest working man in journalism (3 replies)
- Democratic TV with Jessee Bundy (1 reply)
- Christenberry House comes down (11 replies)
- Ditching your landline for a wireless home phone (3 replies)
- Haslam's legacy (31 replies)
- Rikki's butterfly weed (7 replies)
- City unveils new website (20 replies)
- State rep hog farmer under EPA microscope (1 reply)
- Tennessee offers rebates for electric cars and PHEVs (10 replies)
- RIP Dr. Julian (1 reply)
- TN # 1, again (5 replies)
- Rewriting the Rules (3 replies)