I'm now on my third cordless drill (actually fifth if you count the two I bought and returned) because of dead batteries. The batteries cost more than the drills, so they get you to just buy a new drill instead.
My last one, a Hitachi, lasted four years. It's a great drill and still works, but the batteries would no longer charge. I guess I didn't use it enough? But they are lithium ion batteries, which aren't supposed to have that problem?
A replacement battery at Lowes was $80. I saw a two-pack online somewhere for $120. Lowes had the same drill, with a charger, two batteries and a flashlight for $129, only $9 more than just the batteries. So I got that. But guess what? One of the batteries was defective out of the box and would not charge.
I had also thought to just get the (almost) cheapest $40 12v Black and Decker they had and consider it disposable. It's not like I need contractor grade equipment or anything. But I got one, and then found out it takes 6 to 9 hours to charge. Not good for spur of the moment repairs and projects. So back it went.
I thought about getting aftermarket batteries for the Hitachi, but they are still about $50 and they would probably explode or catch on fire and burn my house down.
So I ended up going back to DeWalt, a 20v model that came with two batteries. The replacements, which I will surely need at some point, are $120 for a two-pack (2.0 ah lithium ion). I've seen them online for $100 for the same two-pack. So I guess that's a little better.
But still, what a racket. It's like you're renting the batteries and they throw in a drill for free.
(Thankfully, I still have a 35 year old Craftsman plug-in drill that still works like a champ for backup when these newfangled cordless drills fail me.)
- Alcoa Hwy closed this morning UT Hospital northbound (5 replies)
- The Dean is signing off (1 reply)
- Sen. Alexander, you should be ashamed (19 replies)
- Infrastructure grades (5 replies)
- Welcome, Andi! (1 reply)
- Dark money comes to school board races. The source? Charter school advocates (1 reply)
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (31 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (63 replies)
- The millennial vote? (12 replies)
- Let's get ready to rumble! (22 replies)
- BCBS Pulling Out of TN Metros (19 replies)
- Toxic air pollution nanoparticles discovered in the human brain (1 reply)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (5 days 6 hours from now)
- Oct 7 2016 - 6:00pm (6 days 6 hours from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (1 week 2 days from now)
- Oct 16 2016 - 7:00pm (2 weeks 1 day from now)