The Orange Julius was, according to Wikipedia folklore, invented by Julius Freed in California in 1929. Folks around here are probably more familiar with the Nan Denton Orange Julius shop on Gay Street in the 60s. (Dip dog and an Orange Julius. Mmmm.). I guess they can't call it Orange Julius any more after Dairy Queen bought the original brand in the 1980s.
I've been craving an Orange Julius for a while. I don't get out to the malls or West Knoxville much, and paying $2 or $3 for a frothy orange delight just doesn't seem right even if I did.
In surfing around the internets, it appears there are several different interpretations of the "secret" recipe. For some reason, I've had the idea for a while that the real secret ingredient was malt, which is rarely mentioned.
I've been searching high and low for malt powder, and finally found the next best thing at Kroger. Everybody seems to have Ovaltine chocolate malt powder and the like, but Carnation Original Malted Milk powder is what I was looking for. It was almost hidden, near the coffee and down the aisle a bit near the cocoa mixes.
So anyway, here's my version of a homemade Orange Julius:
• Approx. 8 oz. orange juice
• 2-3 tbsp. malted milk powder (experiment to taste)
• 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (experiment to taste)
• Approx. 1/2 cup ice cubes
Blend all ingredients in a blender until frothy, and enjoy. (I made mine in a Magic Bullet, which is perfect for this sort of thing.) After many failed previous attempts, this is about as close as I have been able to come to the original Gay St. Orange Julius.
- Daily Show: Third world health care in Knoxville (31 replies)
- CCA under federal investigation (2 replies)
- Shoulda got Moxley (88 replies)
- FINAL CALL! Stop the State Power Grab- NO Changes to the Right to Farm Act! (27 replies)
- Herr Huffman-Rhee on TEA (and 'Faux' Parents) (5 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (16 replies)
- Fulton Lady Falcons win at state quarterfinals, 67-49 over Cannon County (5 replies)
- The 5 National Parks Hardest Hit by the Government Shutdown (1 reply)
- Shame on you Gov. Haslam (14 replies)
- What's the deal with switchblades? (27 replies)
- Keep Knoxville Beautiful: Nominate a location to be beautified (7 replies)
- RIP Bobby Drinnon (8 replies)
- Mar 8 2014 - 6:30pm (2 hours 22 min from now)
- Mar 20 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 5 days from now)