In case you missed it, the legislation enabling Tennessee's school textbook selection committee is up for sunset review, meaning the panel could get a makeover or even be eliminated.
The State Senate is holding hearings this week. Tom Humphrey reports on the first day.
There appear to be some legitimate concerns, such as members not showing up for review meetings and unreasonable bonding requirements for publishers. The usual suspects also bring the usual right-wing hair-on-fire rhetoric. Chief among them is Stacey Campfield, who thinks parents should get to vote on what goes in textbooks or something.
This would presumably lead to the Fox and Friends idiocracy correcting school textbooks to include well known facts such as the Earth is only 6,000 years old, the Civil War was fought over liberty and freedom from government oppression, the holocaust never happened, the Apollo moon landings were faked, Ronald Reagan was the first president, Obama is a Muslim born in Kenya, and anthropogenic climate change is a hoax.
- ETSPJ denounces McIntyre - BOE "agreement" (11 replies)
- Looking like a deadlock (20 replies)
- The long awaited "policy positions" of Dem candidate for Governor Charlie Brown (8 replies)
- Uber Problem (17 replies)
- Big Box Health Care: Are You Ready for Walmart Care Clinics? (8 replies)
- Nashville Charter Drama (21 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (55 replies)
- Some happy Labor Day news from California (2 replies)
- ISIS (113 replies)
- Does this make you feel safer? (4 replies)
- Surprise, surprise! (49 replies)
- All the Companies Making Money From Healthcare.gov in One Chart (26 replies)
- Sep 4 2014 - 5:30pm (1 day 19 hours from now)
First Friday Celebration and Silent Auction (benefiting UTK College Dems) with Knox Co Democratic PartySep 5 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 19 hours from now)
- Sep 10 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 20 hours from now)