In case you missed it, the legislation enabling Tennessee's school textbook selection committee is up for sunset review, meaning the panel could get a makeover or even be eliminated.
The State Senate is holding hearings this week. Tom Humphrey reports on the first day.
There appear to be some legitimate concerns, such as members not showing up for review meetings and unreasonable bonding requirements for publishers. The usual suspects also bring the usual right-wing hair-on-fire rhetoric. Chief among them is Stacey Campfield, who thinks parents should get to vote on what goes in textbooks or something.
This would presumably lead to the Fox and Friends idiocracy correcting school textbooks to include well known facts such as the Earth is only 6,000 years old, the Civil War was fought over liberty and freedom from government oppression, the holocaust never happened, the Apollo moon landings were faked, Ronald Reagan was the first president, Obama is a Muslim born in Kenya, and anthropogenic climate change is a hoax.
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (28 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday selling Maryville headquarters (5 replies)
- Clinton, Trump 2016 Presidential Debate - 9/26/2016, 9 PM (8 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (61 replies)
- UT vs UF - it's on (12 replies)
- Clinton supporter fear? (16 replies)
- Glenn Reynolds' twitter account suspended (19 replies)
- Frank Cagle confused about houseboats (10 replies)
- I called the Wells Fargo ethics line and was fired (2 replies)
- BURCHETT LOADING MPC WITH DEVELOPERS (2 replies)
- Technology breakthrough! (1 reply)
- Broadway near Henley closure planned for 2 1/2 years (4 replies)
- Sep 28 2016 - 12:00pm (2 days 10 hours from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 5:00pm (3 days 15 hours from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 6:00pm (3 days 16 hours from now)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (2 weeks 1 day from now)