We played hooky on Friday and went for a paddle on Little River. The weather was perfect. We took two cars, left one at the boat ramp at Stock Creek then went back up to put in at Roddy Branch. It's about 1.5 miles up Maryville Pike and about 3 miles back down on the river. Once we got back to the boat ramp we went under the bridge and up Stock Creek to the railroad trestle and back to the ramp.
We saw several herons, a bunch of kingfishers, a cormorant and some cool old houses and structures. We didn't, however, see the elusive Stock Creek eagle.
This is a nice, easy little trip, total about 4 miles and about two leisurely hours on the water. (Here's a track.) There was no current so we paddled the whole way. Thankfully there was no wind, which I imagine could be a problem out in the wide, flat area near Anchorage.
Another nice trip would be to put in at Stock Creek and paddle back in to the Stock Creek embayment from there. You can go way back past the bull farm off Tipton Station and under the bridge at Hall Rd. and quite a ways up Stock Creek proper, I imagine. Not sure you could do this when the lake elevation is lowered because I seem to recall it being a giant mud flat back there.
- Alcoa Hwy closed this morning UT Hospital northbound (4 replies)
- The millennial vote? (12 replies)
- Let's get ready to rumble! (22 replies)
- Sen. Alexander, you should be ashamed (10 replies)
- BCBS Pulling Out of TN Metros (19 replies)
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (30 replies)
- Infrastructure grades (1 reply)
- Toxic air pollution nanoparticles discovered in the human brain (1 reply)
- Butt probe (8 replies)
- UT vs UF - it's on (15 replies)
- I called the Wells Fargo ethics line and was fired (3 replies)
- Trump Health Plan Would Raise Costs, Clinton's Would Insure More (1 reply)
- Sep 28 2016 - 12:00pm (11 hours 16 min ago)
- Sep 29 2016 - 5:00pm (17 hours 43 min from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 6:00pm (18 hours 43 min from now)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 18 hours from now)
- Oct 7 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (1 week 5 days from now)