Thanks to an incredibly generous land donation by the Wood family (left, above), Legacy Parks announced today a 100 acre addition to South Knoxville's Urban Wilderness. The new park, on undeveloped land off Taylor Rd. near South Doyle Middle School, will feature more than four miles of multi-use hiking and biking trails, including an introductory mountain bike trail.
There are also two prominent balds. One that reaches an elevation of 1100 feet and offers a 360 degree view of Knoxville will be called Pappy's Point in honor of Pat Wood and will be developed as a family gathering place.
Mayor Rogero, Vice Mayor and South Knoxville Councilman Nick Pavlis, and Legacy Parks Director Carol Evans all recognized the Wood family's commitment to South Knoxville and thanked them for their generous gift.
Carol Evans spoke about the national attention South Knoxville's Urban Wilderness is receiving, the increase in real estate values, and the related new business startups. The new land, she said, offers unique opportunities in terms of location, topography and size, and will connect existing Urban Wilderness trails and parks.
Kim Wood McClamroch, daughter of the late Pat Wood, said that her father was always very proud to be a Knoxvillian, but he was especially proud to be a South Knoxvillian. She spoke of her father's hard work and dedication to the community and said that her family is honored to make this gift to the city.
Mayor Rogero thanked Pat ("Pappy") for his donation, and said he was a friend for many years. "What a legacy to leave Legacy Parks Foundation," she said.
UPDATE: The Mrs. has raw video of the proceedings from her smartphone shakycam, might render on some browsers, after the break...
- Mayor Rogero responds to News Sentinel allegation of sunshine violation (8 replies)
- East Coast historic blizzard? (3 replies)
- US Deficit to lowest level since 2007 (1 reply)
- Google Fiber advancing in Nashville? (8 replies)
- Answers at Saturday's annual SPJ legislative session (5 replies)
- Josh Flory leaving KNS (12 replies)
- Obama wants community college to be free (68 replies)
- KNS Friday liberal column changeup (5 replies)
- Bonnaroo lineup announced (27 replies)
- Rape trial for former Vandy football players (20 replies)
- Build A Better Mousetrap (or just do the job better) (2 replies)
- Knoxville City Sign Ordinance (11 replies)
- Jan 27 2015 - 5:30pm (14 hours 1 min from now)
- Jan 27 2015 - 6:00pm (14 hours 31 min from now)
- Jan 27 2015 - 6:15pm (14 hours 46 min from now)
- Feb 5 2015 - 6:00pm (1 week 2 days from now)
- Feb 7 2015 - 4:00pm (1 week 4 days from now)