Thanks to an incredibly generous land donation by the Wood family (left, above), Legacy Parks announced today a 100 acre addition to South Knoxville's Urban Wilderness. The new park, on undeveloped land off Taylor Rd. near South Doyle Middle School, will feature more than four miles of multi-use hiking and biking trails, including an introductory mountain bike trail.
There are also two prominent balds. One that reaches an elevation of 1100 feet and offers a 360 degree view of Knoxville will be called Pappy's Point in honor of Pat Wood and will be developed as a family gathering place.
Mayor Rogero, Vice Mayor and South Knoxville Councilman Nick Pavlis, and Legacy Parks Director Carol Evans all recognized the Wood family's commitment to South Knoxville and thanked them for their generous gift.
Carol Evans spoke about the national attention South Knoxville's Urban Wilderness is receiving, the increase in real estate values, and the related new business startups. The new land, she said, offers unique opportunities in terms of location, topography and size, and will connect existing Urban Wilderness trails and parks.
Kim Wood McClamroch, daughter of the late Pat Wood, said that her father was always very proud to be a Knoxvillian, but he was especially proud to be a South Knoxvillian. She spoke of her father's hard work and dedication to the community and said that her family is honored to make this gift to the city.
Mayor Rogero thanked Pat ("Pappy") for his donation, and said he was a friend for many years. "What a legacy to leave Legacy Parks Foundation," she said.
UPDATE: The Mrs. has raw video of the proceedings from her smartphone shakycam, might render on some browsers, after the break...
- Sen. Alexander, you should be ashamed (15 replies)
- Dark money comes to school board races. The source? Charter school advocates (1 reply)
- Infrastructure grades (4 replies)
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (31 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (63 replies)
- Alcoa Hwy closed this morning UT Hospital northbound (4 replies)
- The millennial vote? (12 replies)
- Let's get ready to rumble! (22 replies)
- BCBS Pulling Out of TN Metros (19 replies)
- Toxic air pollution nanoparticles discovered in the human brain (1 reply)
- Butt probe (8 replies)
- UT vs UF - it's on (15 replies)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (6 days 10 hours from now)
- Oct 7 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 10 hours from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (1 week 4 days from now)